Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 03:09 AM

Default Re: If a book on SnG\'s came out, wouldn\'t they die?

Ah. Bankroll and balls?
Old 12-09-2005, 06:57 PM

Wouldn't this work too since SnGs are basically final tables?
Final Table Poker:
www.expertinsight.com
I guess the starting chip stacks and blinds are different but a lot of the same concepts would apply. Selective aggression, hand selection, etc.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:12 PM

Thank goodness for the TV generation, who think they know it all because they saw it on the tupe.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:27 PM

good thread!

i have to disagree that HoH volume 1 would be excellent for SNG's. i know harrington throws some SNG type problems in there. but i'm not sure he's actually playing in too many of these actual events that we all play.

the big thing about SNG's is that the blinds get up on you really, really fast unless you double or triple up in first few rounds (and that is very "good card"-dependent). it seems like in SNG's you are almost always under some kind of pressure from blinds.

and even though i love harrington's books, i think they jump from pretty deep stacks to heads-up unbelievably quickly. i didn't think this and i started thinking it and i checked the table of contents and it's totally true. his zones are great ideas, but i think i need more guidance as to what to do in the medium zones (basically, i guess i'm saying SNG's are mostly medium zone play).

and i'd like to see more differentiation between heads up vs. 4 player vs. 6 player, because short-handed is where much of the $$$$$ is in SNG's.

and HoH pretty much assumes your opposition is good like at WSOP. we need miller or harrington to tell us how to beat the terrible SNG's most efficiently (don't get me wrong, i'm doing it already, but i'd like to maximize profits)
Old 12-09-2005, 09:43 PM

Limit Omaha 8/b is pretty much a solved game. Go sit at a Party .5/1 table and try to leave with less than you started.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:17 AM

Well at least the general consensus of the forum agrees(quietly) that it will not get easier.
All kinds of poker is a mix of science and art.Easy to teach the science aspect to any individual willing to put in the work to apply the principles.One can not teach the art form which requires feel which you get from experience and a willingness to be inovative.SNG's have given some poker players without too much experience a way to make alot of money through learning the principles.Players were and (are) still making alot of money using these basic principles.But one has to ask oneself why do I make alot of money very quickly by learning some basic stuff and applying what I have learnt.WHY? The answer is most players do not know those basic principles but still play because they still cash in sometimes because most of the players don't know there stuff.As soon as these players start to realize that they are clearly the weaker players and start to cash in less often because more people are slowly or quickly learning they will either give up or start to learn themselves.The nature of a human being is to be lazy about things and wish to believe that they are born with special powers.So, most people will not try very hard to go out of there way to learn something which will commit them to work at it.Now give them a quick guide lets say and they will look at it.SNG's IMO do not take much working out as to the general stratagy to be employed especially if pointed out to a player in an ABC form.Which means?Slowly they will get tougher.Now, no one will ever be able to teach art,which seperates the great from the good.Unfortunately in the SNG world there is little room for an artist in poker to move around in due to the pace of the game.(fast).I predict for a long while yet the SNG's wil be a profitable way for a poker player.But not forever for the SNG's are indeed the easiest form of poker in which you can make alot of money and possibly very quicky due to how easy it is to grasp the general principles.
My point is that the more information out there, the harder it will get.Now,this is in the long run I mean.Today maybe fine.Two years down the road?three? who knows.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:36 PM

Personally--- I think that "good players" are easier to play against than bad or great players.

I don't mind at all if a few bad players become more predictable.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:50 PM

There's a lot of bad strategy advice out there.

A lot of good players move up through the levels and then sometimes out of SNGs all together.

New people are always coming. In fact, whether or not there is fresh meat is probably the only thing that matters. Any publicity probably helps.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:08 PM

The so called fish will play if they enjoy to play.The enjoyment for the weaker players soon diminishes when it is obvious even to themselves that they are outclassed by everybody else.So any small increase(which is natural)in stronger play by everyone who takes the game anywhere serious brings about a further small increase and so on.What is not natural IMO is that all of a sudden everyone who takes the game serious suddenly becomes aware of all the small advantages at where ever we may be in the game because someone wishes to blurt that information out.
Short term everything is positive.People believing they are better than they actually are,long term not so great basically,because the real weak players who really play just for fun (not because they are stupid)will not have that fun once they see they are completely out-classed by everyone.Long term is mainly my point.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:29 PM

There are quite a few people who play for fun and wouldn't want to stick to a winning strategy even if they knew about it.