Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2005, 07:23 PM

Default 15/30: When you don\'t want overcalls?

UTG+1 is loose passive, pre and post flop
UTG+2 is loose and somewhat passive, but likes to bluff when you show weakness.

The main feedback I am looking for is on the river.. but I am guessing that people are probably going to tell me that my flop bet was stupid too.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (12.66 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 folds.

Turn: (7.83 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks.

River: (7.83 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...
Old 05-27-2005, 07:33 PM

Default Re: 15/30: When you don\'t want overcalls?

If you don't bet this flop, you might as well just fold right then &amp; there. This is a very draw-friendly flop, and nobody has shown any indication that they're holding an A. Even if they are, you have two backdoor draws to fall back on...I've seen far stranger things than the field folding for a single bet here. So absolutely bet the flop &amp; try to thin the field (which you did).

The turn is trickier. Personally I would've bet the turn, planning to check through the river or fold to a c/r. As I said, there are a lot of draws out there that would pay another bet on the turn, and you still have no evidence that you're behind. Your loose/passive buddies are unlikely to fold a weak A at this point, so the turn bet loses a little bit of luster because of that.

The river raise is ballsy, but I doubt it's going to work unless you really did have the best hand. Based on your reads I can see the logic in giving it a shot, but if you're called in either place I have to believe that you just blew an extra BB.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:33 PM

This play costs you more than betting the turn and checking through the river, but if you think a loose passive UTG+1 can fold a weak Ace, I like it.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:51 PM

i usually bet the turn here, take the free showdown and pray my hand is best. is that wrong?
Old 05-27-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i usually bet the turn here, take the free showdown and pray my hand is best. is that wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure hope not.