Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2005, 01:09 AM

Default Flopping the Straight on a suited board - did I play this perfect?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

UTG+2 ($78.65)
MP1 ($143.4)
MP2 ($104.95)
MP3 ($29.35)
CO ($88.5)
Hero ($133.15)
SB ($175.3)
BB ($65.1)
UTG ($76.2)
UTG+1 ($128.5)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls $3, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls $3, SB (poster) calls $2.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($13) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, SB folds, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $20</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $50</font>, MP1 raises to $120.40 (All-In), Hero folds.

Final Pot: $203.40

This seems to be the "consensus" way to play these, from what I gather from you guys. Does anyone do anything different here?

As a side note... there were a lot of loose players in this table, which is why I called...

ALSO... had a hand against Villain about 5 minutes before, which progressed in the exact same way - I bet $10 on flop, he raised to $20, I made it $50, and he folded.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:28 AM

Default Re: Flopping the Straight on a suited board - did I play this perfect?

you have position on the guy. i'd flat call the minraise and see how he handles the turn.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:26 AM

Some more reads or stats would be really nice here.

I can see a lot of non nut hands playing this way - people often don't credit the flopped flush/straight at $100
Possibilities: AcK, AcQ, AcT, TT, KQ, KT, QT, AJ.

I'm calling all in/pushing here, though I doubt this would be the norm.

Flat calling the reraise and seeing what happens on the turn isn't bad either, depending on how much you like seeing all of your chips in the middle with the second nuts.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:03 AM

I think this hand depends largely on who the Villain is. Is he a sucker or not ?
Old 05-22-2005, 07:07 AM

Once he makes it 20 I would just call and see what comes off on the turn and how he bets it.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:21 AM

Sorry, he's 31 VPIP, 16 PFR through 87 hands. I think you're right, probably should have called the minraise. Part of it was, I would have folded for sure if another club hit, so in part I wanted to sort of win the pot on the flop there, like had happened the previous time. Damn.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:03 AM

I think it's not bad, tbh. Check/minraise seems a lot like a made flush. Then once you tell him you like your hand, he figures he may as well just push it all in now. Just calling his raise means you are going to have to put in more than $40 on the turn to figure out where you are.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:40 PM

So what hand are you giving him credit for? AJ clubs? you think he hit a royal flush? Axclubs? you think he'd make a preflop call with that? I'm guessing you folded to a set here.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:12 PM

I like the fold. Raise an reraise means something extremely strong. A set is possible but even then you're not home and dry and he has a strong redraw. If he has a flush you're drawing dead. My guess is either AcJx XcXc or QQ/TT. So if you call you're either a decent favourate or completely lost.

This is only a call if the guy is pegged as a complete muppet.

EDIT - I'll just say I like a call of the minraise which allows you to reevaluate if a non-club falls but given the reraise (which isn't bad)I like the fold.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:54 PM

villain could easily have connecting clubs or Acxc. if he's feeling frisky gapper clubs may even be in his cold calling range. 3bb raises preflop don't exactly strike fear into the hearts of your opponents. hero folded a straight.