Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Miles Davis

[ QUOTE ]
Bitches Brew.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bitches Brew is the most classic in this era of Mile's stuff. But IMO "Live Evil" and "Agharta" are superior.
Also, check the Bitches Brew predessesor "In a Silent Way" for a more sublime electric Miles work.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:06 PM

Excellent suggestions, but I have to add In A Silent Way to the mix. It's from the same time period as Bitches Brew, and IMO a superior album. In fact, In a Silent Way is probably my favorite jazz album of all time.

EDIT: I lied, Coltrane Jazz is my favorite jazz album... but In a Silent Way is damn good.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:10 PM

So What, Four, All Blues, Walkin, and Straight No Chaser are my favorites.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:33 PM

when I was first getting into jazz, someone lent me mile davis' autobiography (which is AWESOME) and he spent a whole chapter raving about tony williams. so I go to the cd store and get the first miles record I can find with tony, which is in a silent way. great record, not the best place to hear tony play, since he plays quarter notes on a hi hat for 30 minutes straight [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 08-31-2005, 04:47 PM

Miles did a beautiful version of Cyndi Laupers' "Time after time". It's not jazz, but in that song he really shows what tone and phrasing is about.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in jazz you want to think albums as opposed to tracks

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. I was a jazz major at Rutgers and am still very into the music.

As far as miles albums that are recomended:

At Carnegie Hall- 4+more, this is a two disc album with the in between quintet. THis is a live show and is one of the best albums that you can get

Kind of BLue- one of downbeat's few 5 star albums, nuff said

58 stella by starlight sessions- this one is one of the best sutdio albums by the sextet. It features an amazing version of On Green Dolphin ST

Bitches Brew- the first Jazz album to sell 1 million copies, and is a landmark album

Live at the Blackhawk-another live album, real good one

Live at teh plugged Nickel- famous christmas to new years run in chicago. THis album stretched the bounds of standards and really pushed things, really good stuff

Sketches Of Spain- My favorite GIl Evans collaboration

Miles SMiles- the first album of the second quintet in full force

ESP- another great second quintet album

SOmethin Else- this is actually under cannonball adderly, but is the sextet minus trane, this one is awesome

Miles in the Sky- this is where he started to transition to his sound of the 70s, his concept of music is really stretching here and is one of my favorites

In a Silent Way- this one should be bought with Bitches Brew as they go together perfectly

Jack Johnson- in his electric period and really good stuff, his play is much like a boxers movements, very good stuff

Dark Magus- IMO the best electric period album, live at the filmore west is just as good

well, those are just off the top of my head. If you want any help with other jazz musicians, just shoot me a PM, and that goes for anyone else who is interested. I have a jazz collection that is 400 deep and the music has been my life since I have been 10