Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 02:21 AM

Default Ace in the small blind

Villain seems to be following a decent preflop chart. His postflop play is pretty bad. He doesn't know how to lay down losing hands and doesn't know when to stop firing at the pot.

With respect to the preflop 3-bet, I wouldn't do this all the time. He had been raising a little too often recently and I think he thinks I'm a bit soft in my blind defense. So I decided to push back and little.

Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (4 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero...

What's your line?
Old 10-15-2005, 02:27 AM

Default Re: Ace in the small blind

Check/raise the flop?

Edit: I guess you want the whole line. I call a flop 3-bet, and check/call from there unless I see a 4th spade. If he calls the flop check/raise, lead turn and fold to a raise UI. He checks the flop like never.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:50 AM

I like bet/call/bet a lot better. If villain has overcards with a spade, it's an easy three-bet against a check-raise in position, with the option to take a free card, and you're in bad shape if the CR whiffs.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He doesn't know how to lay down losing hands and doesn't know when to stop firing at the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, were we playing? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. Oh that's right, I don't play Paradise.

Anyway, the cap makes me nervous, and I might wait until the turn to make a move. I would usually check-raise the flop, but I don't want to be 3-bet, and he seems like he'd do it. The turn is not likely to be that neutral. We've got him reverse dominated with a higher ace, but we may be in a lot of trouble if a spade or a non-ace broadway hits on the turn.

So, perhaps a check-call on the flop. Check-raise a nice turn, and check-call a not so nice one.

Edit: It's not even crossing my mind that villain would check behind this flop, based on the read. If you think it's likely, I could see leading the flop, calling a raise.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He doesn't know how to lay down losing hands and doesn't know when to stop firing at the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, were we playing? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. Oh that's right, I don't play Paradise.

Anyway, the cap makes me nervous, and I might wait until the turn to make a move. I would usually check-raise the flop, but I don't want to be 3-bet, and he seems like he'd do it. The turn is not likely to be that neutral. We've got him reverse dominated with a higher ace, but we may be in a lot of trouble if a spade or a non-ace broadway hits on the turn.

So, perhaps a check-call on the flop. Check-raise a nice turn, and check-call a not so nice one.

Edit: It's not even crossing my mind that villain would check behind this flop, based on the read. If you think it's likely, I could see leading the flop, calling a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

The bet-call line prevents you from being three-bet with air, and gets money in the pot when you're ahead.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:01 AM

if you bet out, you're most certainly getting raised from a [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] draw and a better pocket pair especially if you think he's aggressive as you say and his image of you.

usually when i hit a weak pair like this i'll wait 'til the turn or check/call the entire way down.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:48 PM

Default To the turn!

I don't like the flop check-raise. Given the aggressive read, he could 3-bet with a lone high spade and he could have a real hand sometimes, too. So I'd like to see the turn card.

Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (4 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero...

An overcard! [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] What do I do?
Old 10-15-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Re: To the turn!

I would lead the turn here. If he raises, I'm 3-betting, based on read of the villain. There are a lot more ways you're ahead than behind here, at this point, and the 8 isn't a very scary card.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: To the turn!

If this guy is chronic bluff raiser, not just a bluff bettor, then you should probably bet, and if raised, call down, depending on river card. If he doesn't bluff raise much, then you can bet/fold.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:53 PM

Hmm why don't we just check/call this down if he doesn't know how to stop firing at the pot?