Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Working on agression/protection

Another grunch.

Hand 1: obviously, it would help to know that the MPs will cold-call with. I would probably bet out here too. But if I get called, I probably slow down. I think you're in big trouble when MP2 raises you on the turn. I don't think a typical player would go nuts with just a pair of Qs on the turn given your action and the A on the board, so this looks like a made straight, a slow-played set, a big A, or two pair (maybe AQ?).

Hand 2: Again, it would help to know what sorts of hands UTG will play from EP. If he is reasonably tight, then its unlikely that he played a hand with a 3 or 5 in it (though maybe a suited ace with a 3 or 5?) So after the flop call, I think its pretty likely that he has a 10 with a bigger kicker. I would take the free card on the turn. Hard to see that a hand worse than yours would call a river bet, but maybe after the turn is checked through, UTG might put you on a bluff, so I would reluctantly call a river bet.

Hand 3: for the love of god man, raise PF! And I would 3-bet the flop too, though I wonder of late whether I'm too agressive on the flop shorthanded. That said, BB likes his hand, take his money now while you can. (If he has something like A9, he will likely slow down if an OC hits on the later streets).
Old 09-14-2005, 08:45 PM

Hand 1: Unless villan is a serious donk he has at least An ace with a big kicker. Getting almost 8-1 it's a close decision between folding and calling. If we do call, I'm folding the river UI.

Hand 2: Why not bet the flop and see how your opponents react? I think your hand is wayy to vulnerable to risk having the flop checked through. The way you played it, assuming your planning on calling his river bet, I think you should bet/fold the river (unless he's really crazy in which case you should check to induce a bluff). I expect a loose player to call here with any pair, and maybe even overcards. Checking allows him to take a free showdown with those hands and bet hands that beat yours.

Hand3: raise pf! The way you played it, I think I like the flop call. You don't want to knock out the SB, and getting a raise in on fourth street is almost a certainty.

Edit: I forgot that this is party .5/1. 3 bet flop in #3
Old 09-15-2005, 05:27 AM

Hey man,

Since I've been getting some pretty harsh reviews on my own play recently, I've decided to stick to giving advice instead. Don't worry, it's free (in the short term, anyways). [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

(Actually, I'm putting this out here to see how consistent I am with others on this forum.)

--

Hand 1:

This looks pretty standard. The turn checkraise makes me puke, though.

Vs a straight, you have 3 outs. Vs an ace, you have 6 outs. Vs QT, you have 8 outs.

Still, if you consistently fold here a lot of people will take shots at you, so most of us call down.

This hand illustrates the value of position, though. If you were in the CO rather than in EP, you would be able to bet the turn and take a free showdown, which is the True Standard (unless you're against a really fishy guy who may be calling you down with nearly nothing).

Hand 2:

On this river, you either check/fold, check/call, bet/call, or bet/fold: your hand isn't good enough to bet/3-bet.

Check-calling is not my preferred line here because you're inviting him to bet hands that are better than yours, and for a lag, it appears that you've slowed him down with some form of hand, for a guy who will bet anything at all when checked to, though, this is better than betting into him (as he'll bet some things that he wouldn't have called).

Check-folding isn't good either because he's aggressive.

Betting out is the best, making a really crying call if he raises, probably. Definitely bet though.

Just so you know, though, that 6 is a pretty blank card. It makes a couple of straights and 56, but I can't think of a board off the top of my head that doesn't make at least one straight possible.

Hand 3:
It might not be a bad idea to call down vs that turn three-bet. Those are pretty serious bets. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2005, 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 2 I'd probably bet out, call a raise and check/fold a turn unimproved.

[/ QUOTE ]

... One factor that leads us to check first is that it's nice to know if the button's going to fold...
Old 09-19-2005, 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On the flop you should definitely 3-bet. Both of your opponents have shown they like their hands and your coldcall is no less scary than a 3-bet on this board. It's unlikely that it would have changed the outcome, but there's no reason to slowplay when your opponents are being aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come now. a 3-bet is certainly scarier than a cold call here. It's 3 bets. Often the first bettor folds the second calls you've put an extra sb in the pot, and not only have you gained nothing, you've lost a donator.

I'm not saying it's necessarily wrong to 3-bet the flop... just it's not as cut and dry as rasing pf.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying it's necessarily wrong to 3-bet the flop... just it's not as cut and dry as rasing pf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah. I flopped a set, I'm 3-betting the flop whenever I get the chance (except this stupid hand where I don't know where my brain was). I've got a bet and a raise and at these limits I wouldn't be surprised to see the original bettor call my re-raise. The problem with keeping customers here is that the customer you keep may come along to bite you in the ass on the river. I'd rather lose 2BB from the guy betting his gutshot than the pot when he completes it on the river after correctly calling a single raise.