Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2005, 01:28 PM

Default Learning the game, hand from last night

Short introduction: I'm mainly a limit player but have been dabbling in low stakes NL to become a more complete player.

I have no read on the opponent. About 5 minutes before this hand I raised with AA, flopped quads. Checked around to the river where this same player open folded (calling pflop with absolute trash i suspect as the board was completely paint with a flush). I showed them down to another player during that hand but I was somewhat taken aback by the open fold.

Sorry for the lack of conversion I cannot find a converter that supports Crypto format.

marsipan: posts small blind $0.50
Phil29033: posts big blind $1
----- HOLE CARDS -----
dealt to hero [Jh As]

zz: calls $1

hero: raises to $3
marsipan: calls $2.50
Phil29033: calls $2
Alex02036: calls $2
----- FLOP ----- [6c Ac Jc]
yy: checks
xx: checks
zz: bets $71.25 and is all-in

Hero does what?

If this is a blatant fold, please explain why so I act appropriately in the future. There was some questionable chat after this hand.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Learning the game, hand from last night

That is an unpleasent situation pretty much because a lot of players at this level will have a worse hand than you and still make this move. That said this is a clear fold, you have to give the guy credit for the flush when he pushes and you don't have the odds to improve to a FH. If he does this often then next time your in a pot with him you can lower your calling standerds but this time you have to fold.

Regarding your flopped quads I agree that this is a good time to let someone else catch up simply because your crushing the deck and he probably has nothing. However unless your opponent catches a lower full house you're not going ot get any action anyway so you may as well lead out and hope for the best on the turn.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That is an unpleasent situation pretty much because a lot of players at this level will have a worse hand than you and still make this move. That said this is a clear fold, you have to give the guy credit for the flush when he pushes and you don't have the odds to improve to a FH. If he does this often then next time your in a pot with him you can lower your calling standerds but this time you have to fold.

Regarding your flopped quads I agree that this is a good time to let someone else catch up simply because your crushing the deck and he probably has nothing. However unless your opponent catches a lower full house you're not going ot get any action anyway so you may as well lead out and hope for the best on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

What worse hands are doing this? A with a K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]? You're actually only about 55/45 with those hands. A6 is the only hand I could see him doing this that you are a clear favorite over, and basically all the other ones are seriously crushing hero (to the tune of 85/15).
Old 06-11-2005, 06:37 PM

I completely agree with all of your points. I feel like in limit I auto call down with top two there, infact probably 3bet the flop. Apparently learning this game is going to cost me some money.

At the time, I put him on an ace with a club, perhaps AxKc. However on reflection that makes absolutely zero sense as he isn't going to limp with that then merely call a raise.
I didn't think it out enough really, as there are just so many more hands that he will make that play with, and I beat a low percentage of them. I auto called with top two. Anyway, he flopped the nut flush with Kc7c so I was drawing very slim and he dropped me of my first buy in at NL100.

Interesting play just moving in there but I guess he put me on an ace perhaps better than that and figured I would call.