Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2004, 08:04 PM

Default Help me out here

Hello, 11+R tourney on Stars...

help me out here...
this guy had called me down with pocket 8s earlier, and it as possible that he was doing the same again with a small pair, but was this avoidable for me? was my bet on the turn too small to make him fold... or do I actually want him calling here. I'd like to know how some of you would have played it on the turn.. potentially scary card but should I push?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1200 (9 handed)

UTG+1 (t35920)
MP1 (t17877)
MP2 (t13448)
MP3 (t7993)
CO (t23162)
Button (t31019)
SB (t21093)
BB (t47477)
Hero (t34840)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t3600</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls t3600, Button calls t3600, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (t11400) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t6000</font>, CO folds, Button calls t6000.

Turn: (t23400) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t6000</font>, Button calls t6000.

River: (t35400) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t19165 (All-In)</font>, Button calls t15344 (All-In).

Final Pot: t69909

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero has Jc Jd (one pair, jacks).
Button has 5d 5c (three of a kind, fives).
Outcome: Button wins t66088. Hero wins t3821. </font>
Old 10-29-2004, 08:39 PM

Default Re: Help me out here

This is awfully close to a bad beat post, but I'll be nice.
You may want to hide it from others. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Betting 1/2 the pot is either weak or strong depending on the player, you are giving 3-1 on the call, that is not a bad play per se, but with your hand here you need to bet more ~2/3 pot + to find out if villian has a hand.

I like to have a stronger hand than 2nd pair to only bet 1/2 pot.

His flop call was poor.

Often when your turn bet is the same as your flop bet an opponent will take that as a sign of weakness as you look like you don't really want to bet. A strong player may have raised you here to see if you were for real.

Even though you are giving 5-1 on the turn, his call sucks if you look at just pot odds and the holdings, he may have read you for missed overcards and is calling you down again.

He sucked out on the river, it happens,. but it was probably preventable.

You may have prevented it with a stronger flop or turn bet, but I'm not the burning bush and I don't know the ending to an alternate reality.

You mentioned he called you down before with a mid-pair, was he right and were you bluffing on that hand?

If so he may have put you on missing the flop with the weakish flop bet and weak turn bet and wanted to call you down.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 10-29-2004, 08:45 PM

Not intended to be a bad beat post... as I thought it was my fault that the beat happened.

yes, he called me down with 88 on a low card flop when I had AQ I believe

anyway, thanks for the response... just trying to figure out ways to avoid this next time...
Old 10-29-2004, 09:08 PM

I would double your bet (or more possibly) on the turn. Your bet of 6000 looks very weak, and he is almost always going to put you on the flush draw here.

And obviously, the river wasn't a bad play by you, but just a bad beat. Remember to bet your hand strong and protect it. Other than that, just forget about it and move on... nothing you can do about him hitting a two-outer on the river. 23 out of 24 times he's folding to that bet or you're taking his stack.

J.