Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2005, 05:56 AM

Default my biggest leaks, lately

over the last few weeks i have added alot of aggression to my tournament play. ive take the advise of those in this forum to "find new steal opportunities." to put myself in a better situation late and ive won 2 MTT tournaments. also i have made an 5 other final tables over the past 2 weeks.

here's where i run into trouble. when im on a steal, with rags, or with a mediaocre hand and i raise from 600 to 1800. and someone reraises me 1200 more. now, i usually get myself into alot of trouble thinking this way;

"i cant fold for such a small raise, it will give me problems later with the players paying attention."

so i call and advance to a flop that i will brick completely or else this wouldnt be a problem. and the bettor leads out for 1200 or less again. i know the mini-reraise is a huge flag, sending up signals everywhere. i know im beat, i know im crushed, drawing to osme ugly runners. but, again i dont want to lay down for 1200 into 7000+ on a ragged board with no ace or face. i will then raise to 5000 or so and get called. put in another shot on the turn, get called. and then finally give up after putting in half or more of my chips with less than nine high.

so, how much of a mistake is it to just let go for the miniraise? how much is it to let go of the horrificly small bet on the flop? where should i be ditching these hands? the answer usually becomes apparent to me after some thought, but i really dont want to look weak here and have half my steal attempted miniraised.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:37 AM

Default Re: my biggest leaks, lately

I do not think that folding to the min-raise preflop is an awful idea if you have complete rags. I mean it typically screams AA or KK and unless you have reason to suspect people are doing it to you with non-premium hands than just folding and finding a better spot later on isn't an awful idea.

Also if you start folding to these raises and people start min-raising you a lot and disprespecting your raises than you can just push OTP of their re-steal or wait for a premium hand and bust somebody.