Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 08:21 PM

Default Ways to Keep on Improving

What kind of things did you 2bb/100+ winners do to improve.

I'm at 1.6bb/100 during a mini amount of hands (60k, but for the sake of this, lets say its 600k). What kinds of things can someone of that winrate do to improve. What parts of their game could push them over the edge of becoming a 2bb/100+ winner. It may be player specific, but is there anything in particualr that they don't do as well as players at 2bb/100+.

Also what kinds of things specifically should a player like me do. Someone that is on these boards frequently everyday. Is there anything more someone should be doing to get over that hump?

I was thinking that having someone to look over hand histories and help me out would be a good idea.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Ways to Keep on Improving

2BB+ winner means nothing? what limit are you talking about?

What do you think you need to do?

What would a professional athlete do to improve his/her game?

Of course you break down your game into little bits, you read more (not just these forums), you work on your weaknesses.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:09 PM

3/6 (online) and up.

Reflect on your own play,and realize your mistakes

play a lot, think about it a lot.

Of course I have my own ideas about how to get better, but I'm not ignorant enough to think thats the only way to do it. I'm just curious about what other people do, and what they think.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:01 PM

Make sure you're playing (properly) aggressive poker. Raise your strong hands, protect your weak hands, and fold your crap hands. Winning 1.6 BB/100 means you have the basics down, but often that last 1-2 BB/100 is just a case of playing a little too passively postflop. This of course falls into the "reflecting on your game" comment above.

You also have to take into account the number of tables you're playing. 1.6 BB/100 is a much better win rate for someone that's 8-tabling than it is for someone who's 2-tabling.

These are really general, and I'm assuming you know to post hands/reply to others & all that stuff. If all else fails, you can consider hiring a coach (I'm not one, not a plug [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]), or even just trading hand histories with a peer. Often times we might have a standard line that we think is obviously the best option to take, but turns out to be a mistake that's being committed on a regular basis--a good coach can help you identify things like that.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:00 AM

I've been reading Poker Essays I (really enjoying it too). Mason mentions that once you reach a certain level in poker approaching expert, game selection becomes one of the most important skills. I've got a long way to go before that, but it's good insight.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:41 AM

quit your shitty day job!!! {and leave your co-workers bored out of their minds)