Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2004, 09:54 PM

Default Re: Hold\'em Scumbags

Here's my take. In Hold'em there are a lot of 4:1 matchups as well as a lot of 3:1 matchups after 2 cards as a result of domination. I'm not too familiar wth how different stud hands fare against one another but I suspect that AAx v 3 random cards is not going to win 75% of the time. I could be wrong but from what I got watching the WSOP stud event it certainly looked like most hands were about 55:45 even when 1 hand looked much stronger than the other. As far as O8 goes I would say that even the mighty AA23 has a lower expected BB per hand than AA does in hold em, not to mention it comes around WAY less often.

Again judging from the WSOP broadcast of O8 and O high it seemed that most hands were fairly even preflop but after the flop EVERYTHING changed. In hold em pots with few players or HU there are a lot of times where one player is a prohibitive favorite over another.

As for the more skill part, all I know is that NL hold em is considered the Cadillac of poker (yeah, that's the best I can do) and I've never even heard of stud being played in a NL format. Amarillo Slim says that comparing limit to NL is like comparing chess to checkers.

Well, that's all I got. Not much. That's why I wanted to hear why you thought the opposite to be true. I really don't have much to go when determining what forms of poker require more skill or have more frequent suck outs.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Who's scruffy looking?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Nerf Herder.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

Princess Leia to Hans "scruffy looking nerf herder"

Any thread where you can work in some Stars Wars dialogue is a great thread!

Doc JS
Old 11-02-2004, 11:07 PM

Maybe its because I always think I'm losing a pot to some goofball who learned his craft solely by watching WPT reruns?

<shrug> those are the people I'm always winning big pots from. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2004, 01:12 AM

Hey Brockton, I hear what you are saying, but all of those %s are to the showdown.

Lets just say a lowlife scumbag reraises you with 72o when you have aces. Flop could come up 772 or something. But in stud, if you have a pair of aces someone holding a (72)Q or something like that has absolutely no chance to outdraw you after first betting round. Someone has to call multiple bets to try and outdraw you. And because your boards are independent, its also easier to regain the lead if someone does happen to get lucky.

I'm only considering limit here. I don't mind the NL players. But I believe they do play NL/PL Stud overseas. Its in a Ciaffone/Reuben book.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:43 AM

nice star wars throw back
Old 11-03-2004, 03:48 AM

No real point to this response, just some observations.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe its because I always think I'm losing a pot to some goofball who learned his craft solely by watching WPT reruns?

[/ QUOTE ]

The bolded part indicates this problem lies with you, not them. Therefore, it is no reason to hate the players.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe its because its alot more obvious in hold'em that they sucked out?

[/ QUOTE ]

This indicates the problem is with the game, not the players. Therefore, it is no reason to hate the players.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe its the great deal of luck in between starting hands and what happens on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

This indicates the problem is with the game, not the players. Therefore, it is no reason to hate the players.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe its because I don't consider a person to be a true poker player unless they play a game other than hold'em?

[/ QUOTE ]

The bolded part indicates this problem lies with you, not them. Therefore, it is no reason to hate the players.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe its because I consider the other games to be more skillful?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe most hold'em players are scumbags and lowlifes, and I'm just really good at reading people?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems unlikely.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I have issues?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems likely. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2004, 08:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I have issues? lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe? No, definitely.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:47 AM

Your last point -- Maybe I have issues? lol -- is the critical one.
If you hate people just because of the game they play or the way they play it, YOU have a problem, and it is NOT lol.
You should take a hard look at yourself, not them.
I hope you do it. Life is too short to hate people for trivial reasons.
Regards,
Al
Old 11-04-2004, 11:32 AM

What if you just hate all people because they're breathing. Is that having issues, too, or is it just good ol' misanthropy?
Old 11-04-2004, 11:41 AM

Maybe hate is a strong word. If I had a point, I think its that the fact that hold'em, the game, is like flypaper for scumbags. You don't see anyone capping it in a Stud8b, capping it preflopwith a (4J)9.

The other games are more civilizied, and the players have more class.