Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 06:09 PM

Default Re: River play with QTo

I'd fold PF also, however QTo is better than JTs or T9s, which many posters say you can raise PF UTG. So is the suited connector worth giving up a higher ranked card? Is that why we fold QTo, but raise JTs?

I'd fold, but I don't know why, just looking for some clarification.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:33 PM

--blind response--

I like the hand up to this point.

CO is not very likely to have an unpaired ace (or any unpaired overcards) when he calls the turn bet. AA-QQ would have reraise the flop or raised the turn.

I'd put him on a pocket pair (88-JJ) or a paired ten like ATs.

I think I bet/fold here, as he'd likely check his pocket pair behind on the river, and would have a hard time raising even JJ or another paired T.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:56 PM

The pot is huge, it's possible that he called down w/ AK, AQ
Old 11-28-2005, 07:00 PM

I don't think it's that bad. I think you have to c/c because the pot is big. Bet/fold would suck with this large pot. If you bet out on the flop, you might have folded CO right then. With the c/r, he had the odds to draw at the turn and river.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:06 PM

I think the flop cr is clearly the correct play though Buzz. A flop donkbet won't fold out overs here. In fact, I think it wouldn't fold most pocket pairs either.

He has what is likely the best hand, and is looking at an autobet from the CO with any 2.

His hand strength is tenuous at best though, so he wants to take the opportunity to both build the pot now and push MP out.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:11 PM

Buzz isn't saying that the flop bet will fold anyone, but say you bet the flop, opponent calls. Blank hit the turn, then Hero can bet turn, and now villain may not have odds to draw to the river.

[ QUOTE ]
He has what is likely the best hand, and is looking at an autobet from the CO with any 2.

[/ QUOTE ] A free card would suck too.

[ QUOTE ]
His hand strength is tenuous at best though, so he wants to take the opportunity to both build the pot now and push MP out.

[/ QUOTE ] When you build a bigger pot, don't you make it more unlikely for opponents to fold?
Old 11-28-2005, 07:40 PM

If CO takes a free card after a pf threebet, then I'm making a note.

Also, I want to build a pot now, while I'm in the lead, and hopefully tie worse hands to the pot. If I lose the lead I'll know it, and I can fold safely.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:29 PM

Well, the pre-flop aggressor is basically on our left, and with the 12SB pot, we should be in protection mode, not pot-building mode. Having said that, betting out doesn't necessarily protect our hand, esp if CO does not raise us.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:30 PM

But if we're trying to protect, I don't understand how offering only 1 guy 8:1 does it; shouldn't a protection c-r come on turn with a pot this size and really not the best position to knock ppl out? And worse, suppose mp caught a piece and bet then it comes back to hero raised? He can't call.

As pfr I like betting into pfrr hoping to avoid that and possibly get a one sb look at turn freezing pfrr because unless he has something big going on I doubt he'd raise the field...

Mike