Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 09:31 PM

Default Fold to donk?

Villian is 23/0/.33 after 34 hands

PokerRoom 1/2 (9 handed)

Hero is Button with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

1 fold , UTG+1 calls, 1 fold , MP2 calls, 2 folds, Hero calls, SB folds , BB checks

Flop: (4.5 SB)
8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
3 checks, Hero bets, BB calls, 2 folds

Turn: (3 BB)
4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB bets, Hero calls

Flop: (5 BB)
9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
BB bets, Hero calls

Final Pot: (12 BB)

I know 34 hands isn't enough to get a good read, but should I have called the river here? I think calling the turn is ok, given how few hands I had on him, but when he bets the river I suspect I should have let it go.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Fold to donk?

You can call down like you did, or raise the turn and fold to a 3-bet. Either way, you should not be folding to the first donkbet.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:40 PM

I call this every day and make a note if he has a monster.

I think you should consider a pfr.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:43 PM

You played this fine. Shant's post offered a reasonable alternate line.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:04 PM

I guess my thinking is, the whole time I knew he had the four, and of course he had the four, so why did I keep calling.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess my thinking is, the whole time I knew he had the four, and of course he had the four, so why did I keep calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you had a read from previous hands that Villain would bet out with a monster on the turn, you should have included that in your OP.

Now, calling down for future information becomes a little worse of an option as we already got that information during past hands. If we "know he has the four", then we fold.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Most of the time your opponent will go for a checkraise when they trip up like that. His first bet is not enough information to decide if he has you beat. This time you were beat, but you probably would not have even posted this hand if your opponent had made that donk with 87s or A6o or a number of other random hands he could make that move with. You played it fine.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:48 PM

super-blind response...

Reading the subject, I'm gonna give this a shot and say /no/.

Edit: crap i was wrong. this is a small pot, so we should probably fold. We've got 5 outs to a better hand. villain is playing like he has a medium pair.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:41 AM

I appreciate the vote of confidence. I didn't have a super read or anything, it just seems like when a fish all of a sudden wakes up and starts betting, he has what the board would suggest he has. Then again, your right, I probably don't realize how many times this happens and I win. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:56 AM

*grunch*

I play this the same way. No, I don't feel good about it because losing money blows, but I don't want people getting in the habit of taking shots at me. This may be a product of mostly playing 6 max, but I call down and am sometimes pleasantly surprised.

The betting and my gut says we're beat, but I still like to make them prove it in these types of hands. I wonder if that makes me a dope.