Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 11:09 AM

Default Donkiest play ever?

5-5 NLHE, UTG limps and I utg+1 (4.5k) raise with AdAs…Button calls (1k), BB calls (5k), UTG folds.

The game is 6-handed and tight and I’m playing extremely laggish and picking up a lot of pots. I have a long history with villain who’s a predictable TAG…

Flop As – Kd – 10d

Villian bets 50 I call and button folds. Button pretty much gave away that he was going to fold. My immediate thought when villain bets is that he has the case A (he is not a semi-bluffer).

Turn 6c (As – Kd – 10d)

Villian bets $75 and I call. I’m now almost certain villain has an A and is pretty weak. He would make a big bet with any strong holding. I’m also certain that he will get off AQ or AJ if I raise. He will probably pay me off any river that misses him. I plan on firing on the river no matter what if checked to as villain plays straightforward.

River Qh (6c - As – Kd – 10d)

Villian hesitates for a few seconds and bets $300. I call.

Donkiest play ever?
Old 07-11-2005, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Donkiest play ever?

FWIW I think you played it fine, assuming that

[ QUOTE ]
AQ or AJ

[/ QUOTE ]

is true. He sounds like the type of player that won't call a river raise without a Jack.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:14 PM

Isnt the whole point of playing lag, to get paid off when you hit a big one?
You flop top set and slowplay it?
I dont get it.
What did you make it pf? im assuming 30 ish
I would at least raise flop to like 250ish, and since you said you are playing lag, he prolly gonna call with an Ace with a broadway kicker.
Barring flop raise, i DEF raise turn.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:59 PM

Give the cat a good kicking so you'll feel better and fold. When at worst he's probably got you on AK or AQ at this point and raises like that he's got the straight unless he thinks you are a complete maniac. Slowplaying can be a great way to maximize your earn rate but only if you can lay down strong 2nd best hands like this one, calling is likely a disaster here.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:59 PM

Sry, i made it 35 preflop....

[ QUOTE ]
Isnt the whole point of playing lag, to get paid off when you hit a big one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but i had a very good read on what villian had and was CERTAIN i was not getting paid off if i raised. When he made it 75 on the turn, i put him on specifically AQ or AJ (it's very very rare that i have this good of a read). Maybe he calls a minraise but probably not. If i make a reasonable raise, i'm sure he's folding.

All that said, i've been wrong before so i probably should have gone ahead and put in a decent sized raise (hence the title of the post).

EDIT: Just wanted to add - against an unknown opponent i almost certainly would have made a sizable raise on the flop. Especially given my, at the time, laggish image.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Give the cat a good kicking so you'll feel better and fold. When at worst he's probably got you on AK or AQ at this point and raises like that he's got the straight unless he thinks you are a complete maniac. Slowplaying can be a great way to maximize your earn rate but only if you can lay down strong 2nd best hands like this one, calling is likely a disaster here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, i convinced myself to call on the river based on the slight hesitation that i noticed. It turns out he was thinking "hmm, how much can i get this sucker for". I misinterpreted that for a possible "hmm, i wonder if i should value bet 2 pair here"

If only i had a cat.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:31 PM

I dont know if you some1 will fold tp2k/tp3k to a raise from a lag on that flop, but you said you had a stellar read,so thats fine. But i def raise the turn, i dont wanna win a lil pot with a big hand...if he folds..mehh watever, he prolly wasnt gonna call much on river anyways.
Especially with a set of Aces with another broadway card out there i play fast, real ugly seeing more broadway cards.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:53 PM

Yea, i'm trying to gauge how shitty of a play this was. He ended up having AJ and i felt like a total donkey after the hand. But I think i can get him to pay me off like $250 on the other 40 river cards (that i like) given how slow i played the hand.

Sometimes playing fast is not the best way to maximize a pot. But maybe i'm just fooling myself on how strong my read was? Maybe he would have paid me something on the turn (although i still don't think so)?
Old 07-11-2005, 02:12 PM

why doesn't he pay off on the flop to a raise? if you're a LAG you could be raising (or should be :P ) a wide range of hands.

edit: *meaning flop raising
Old 07-11-2005, 02:32 PM

A few cats around the place are theraputic when you are on the wrong side of set vs set or someone spikes that gutshot straight on you. My girfriend has 2 and they definitely have incredible theraputic value on those 2 and 3 outers.

Actually I think you're fine with the way you played it up to the laydown/call decision, the odds of him hitting that stragiht vs the potential payoff of getting him to call another $150 on river are completely worth it. Remember, he's having a harder time putting you on a hand here than the reverse, when a TAG comes out firing big on the river when all it takes is for you to have 1 face card on river, he loves his hand. If you want to be Mr tricky slowplayer you have to be able to dump it when it blows up in your face.