Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 09:40 PM

Default JQ-hand

I'm still new to 5/10 so I still need some help on some of these hands. The villian in this hand had shown some aggression since I sat down.

Assuming that you ignore the call preflop what's the best line?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $10 BB (9 handed) converter

UTG ($987.50)
UTG+1 ($115)
MP1 ($1147)
MP2 ($995)
MP3 ($1167)
CO ($1446.05)
Button ($983.75)
SB ($1187.50)
Hero ($2073.75)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $30</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls $30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $20.

Flop: ($95) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $40</font>, Hero calls $40, MP1 folds.

(decided to flat call to see if he would slow down on the turn. I'm out of position so I didn't want to make a raise and commit too much early in the hand. Should I have just foled here?)

Turn: ($175) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $160</font>, Hero calls $160.

(My thoughts here were that he put me on a draw and was just attempting to bet the draws out. I didn't think this guy had an overpair and was a little aggressive for a AJ play. KQ was a possibility but I ended up calling with my top-pair w/straight draw)

River: ($495) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: $495

Should I make a blocking bet on the river and fold to a raise? Looking back I think I probably misplayed the hand. I did take down the pot but there was still probably a better line to take here.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:58 PM

Default Re: JQ-hand

its really bad for metagame purposes to make this type of play a habit, by check-calling down you let opponent do whatever he wants- control pot size, take free cards, bluff you off a better hand- really whatever he wants to do. any decent villian will soon catch on and act accordingly
Old 04-26-2005, 11:05 PM

This really isn't a normal play for me which is why I'm questioning it. But what would have been the best line here.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:59 PM

my advice in about every hand is the same, lead the flop, but here i think flop is good, maybe lead the turn its a real scary card- overpairs cant really raise here, so maybe a stop n go is best
Old 04-27-2005, 12:19 AM

My line of action would probably be the same as yours on the flop. However, perhaps you could lead on the turn, using it as a blocking bet, since you picked up a draw or just betting the strength of your hand, as it could be the best at the moment. A bet of 90-120 or so I think would do. The turn was scare card and your flop call can mean a draw. Don't take my advice as law though since I'm not as experienced as some of the players who post. Maybe more experienced players can critque my line of thinking as well?
Old 04-27-2005, 12:23 AM

its hard for most people to fire 2 times into a pot with nothing. so on the turn, all you can really beat is a flush draw. if hes got TPTK or an OP or a set, you are beaten on the flop. and if he was leading with a straight draw, you now may be beaten as well. this is a tough spot

assuming you choose not to fold the flop:
what i like to do is control the betting so i can get better information and better control my opponents action. on the flop, i might reraise (or in your case, bet my hand) to take position in the hand (knowing that all i can beat is a draw). if you try to take position in this hand, you cant call a reraise so you are bluffing if you try to make a move. a flop reraise is risky, your hand is very weak. calling once on the flop is a possibility. normally, i dont like calling with the top pair. but you can make a weak call on the flop. call his bet with on the flop and see if hes bluffing. if he bets again then strongly consider a fold. by the turn, the board is so nasty, i dont see an overpair betting again and certainly no bet on the river. so you might try a bluff if you think he only has an overpair, assuming the opponent is capable of folding AA on a board w/ 9 T J X X, and i assume he is. there are a variety of options here, i dont know exactly what to do. tough hand.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:31 AM

Freemoney gave some good advice on how to play this post-flop. I'm aware this isn't a regular hand for you, but do you regularly call raises from the blind with a dominated (offsuit) hand? I'm sure this can prove to be a huge leak over time.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Assuming that you ignore the call preflop what's the best line?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't ignore this. This is a horrendous preflop call in a full ring game from the blinds. You probably know why already. If you wanna mix up your game call with 67s or T8s. QJo is just gonna get you in these weird situations that are not profitable in the long run.

Fold this pre and you avoid this mess and many more in the future that could be even worse.