Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 08:58 AM

Default Re: WSOP Free prize Stud Hilo

As Aicirt has pointed out the structure in the $1000 event will be bad. I played the $1500 event last year and it was tough too. I'll be playing in this event this year as well as the $2000. So you'll have to settle for 2nd place money, cough, :-).

By the second level if you haven't done much you will have a stack of say T875 with a level of 50-100. You lost a few antes, bring-ins and maybe a solid call that bricked or so. Probably few will be gone by then and the average stack will be say T1075 or less. It would seem that you aren't in any real trouble but you are. You are looking at a situation where if you get involved in a drawing hand against an aggressive opponent with say a big pair and another low you may find yourself nearly all-in in the first significant encounter you have in the tournament.

The key at this stage is that you have enough chips to wait on the hand you want but the hand you want is not a big draw. The ante is only 10 and the bring-in 15. I know it is still early in the touney and it would seem like all you need is a big scooper draw to get things going. Looks can be deceiving. 2c3c4s can go very badly here if you hit say the 7c on 4th. I know you would take that situation in any ring game but here the variance may well end your tournament. Pick a better spot. Or maybe I should say pick a different spot. Wait and wait and play big made hands where you can be the aggressor. Let them draw. Any pure draw without an Ace is ill-advised, even three suited babies. These hands will generally be heads-up and your big pairs, which you gotta hate in the low-limit ring games, are your friend here. Yes, even this "early".

Just remember in this tournament it is later than you might think in terms of limits but paradoxically, earlier than you think in terms of antes and bring-ins. Adjust accordingly.