Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 12:33 AM

Default Re: Hellmuth > Caught Cheating At WPO?

PETER GRIFFIN = RATINGS
Old 02-02-2005, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You really think Hellmuth would risk his 7 figure endorsement deals, income, etc. by cupping a few little chips???

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I never said it was true, hence the ? at the end of the title.

2) It's not exactly like it's my mothers, sister's cousin's former roommate from college. This is a pretty solid guy who's a good friend of the room manager at a cardroom in tunica.

3) While I was initially skeptical for the same reasons (he's loaded..why risk it), I have to say that I somewhat agree with the guy who said it was a solid "tactic". Hellmuth fancies himself the bad-boy of poker... he's a tool, I agree, but he's also a shrewd self-marketer. While I gave this story about 30% chance of actually being true, It honestly wouldn't surprise me....after all, who (aside from possibly annie duke) is as frustrated with the influx of "landmines" in major events?

That said, I now see why I don't venture into the "TV Forum"... represents the worst of what this once-great board has to offer... a pile of flamers who offer little in substance but plenty in attitude. Whatever makes you kids sleep better at night.

Again, I never said it was true, however I figured I'd get some feedback from the people here that actually knew what they were talking about (ie bigfishhead)... real dealers from down in Tunica. I'll contact the few people here that would know directly and leave this thread to die as the flame-fest that it is currently.

Oh... and the "Chip Cupping" meant that he was (allegedly) pulling his stack into his hand, and tossing all but a couple of high-value chips in and "going all in". Then he'd rebuy and grab his stack with those few extra large value chips. This, as has been stated before, is a lot more common than many of the internet players would care to consider....

FYI - For curiosity's sake I just spoke with the floor supervisor at the strike and asked him about a "chip cupping incident involving hellmuth at the $1000 rebuy at the WPO. Interestingly enough he was a bit flustered and said that he is "not allowed to comment" on anything that "may have happened"...
Old 02-02-2005, 05:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PETER GRIFFIN = RATINGS

[/ QUOTE ]

May 1st Baby.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:43 AM

This is funny. You post a thread with a headline-worthy subject, accusing (I know, I know, you weren't "accusing", you were just "asking", riiiight) a top pro of cheating, based on third-hand (at best) information. And then you want to get all pissy when you get a few skeptical responses?

Go cry in your milk, troll.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:03 AM

Well I go down to Tunica once or twice a week. If I was down there and I spoke to someone that I deemed credible then the first place I'd probably come to TRY to find out more would be this website. Call me a douche or whatever makes you feel all warm at night.

For you critics what would you do if you heard this info from someone you find reliable?

I was down there on the Saturday before the main event and Hellmuth was playing in the 3000 NLHE tourney. So I don't know when this could have happened. I watched him get busted out of the tournament. So unless I'm having a brain fart then the only way he could have got busted for cheating would be if someone said something to management and they rolled back a tape on him.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PETER GRIFFIN = RATINGS

[/ QUOTE ]

"Look Brian there's a message in my Alphabits! It says 'oooooooo'"

"Peter, those are Cheerios"

That sound bite is on TBS every commercial break and I laugh every time I hear it (gotta be close to the triple digits now).
Old 02-02-2005, 11:32 AM

yeah, and i heard he then he got up at the table and defecated into his hand and ate it.

that one goes back a couple of months..
Old 02-02-2005, 12:57 PM

since you don't know if it is true, you should not have used his name. that is very lame.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So unless I'm having a brain fart then the only way he could have got busted for cheating would be if someone said something to management and they rolled back a tape on him.

[/ QUOTE ]

They erased the tapes two hours after it happened. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
since you don't know if it is true, you should not have used his name. that is very lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I also find it very ironic that someone childishly engages in rumor-mongering with zero evidence, and then calls people who are skeptical childish.