Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Utterly embarrassing and honest confessions of a 1 year pro

A word of warning: though you don't know it, you are completely defenseless against women, and if you are not careful you will be destroyed.

I'm being completely serious.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:18 PM

Dude, congrats on being way ahead of the pack money wise. But seriously, maybe going to college will open your eyes to new things as in developing a core of friends you can trust and hangout with. Getting piss drunk with the same crowd will do that to you.

Definitely stick to poker till you got a million in your bank account. Then when you retire at 30, you'll be glad you stuck to your goals of playing more and getting better at the game.

Enjoy this youth where days are long and you got lots of time on your hands. And thanks for sharing a brutally honest post of what semi-pros go through from time to time.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:39 PM

Default True. And he certainly wouldn\'t be the first..

..or the last to become fodder.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's about money, I'm just coming to realize that there are things in life worth more than money, which I think is something that most people only figure out once they have it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are recognizing this fact, then you're on the right track already. I think there is some good advice in this thread about getting out of the house and being active. Sounds like there are some 2+2ers around as well in your area. Hell, you seem to have nothing tying you down, take a risk and fly out to Vegas next time there's a big 2+2 gathering.

El Diablo also suggested something that I usually bring up in threads like this, that young poker pros IMO are missing out by not getting themselves into the workforce after college. I'm not sure that time can be made up later. Everyone is different though.

Overall though, you're right, there are things much more important than money. Money can be means to an end, but that only works if there's an end worth reaching. I was expressing to a fellow 2+2er over AIM once that I just couldn't believe how much he and some others were making by playing online. He responded by saying that my life didn't sound too bad - good job, married, and poker on the side to pretty much fund my beer and golf habits. He was right.

Anyway, best wishes in the future to you. That also goes for the others who are reading this thread and not replying, because your post sounds a lot like their lives, and they don't want to respond to that.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:55 PM

I have thought alot about college, and ElDiablo's post made me think about it some more today. I've come to the conclusion that college is just not right for me at this point in my life. I do not want the responsibility of having to live in this location for a very long time. I do not want to sound foolish if this does not happen, but I have ambitions to travel the world within the near future. I think seeing the world is very important for me and I might as well do it early in life before I have responsibilities and are forced to settle down. I also think that there is a good chance I might want to move out to SoCal or Vegas in a few years. The way finances are going for me, it is always an option that I continue playing poker until the fishing well dries up and then attend college. By then I should have far more than enough saved to not have to worry about paying bills for quite some time. College could become a real short-term money loser for me as I may not be able to put in the hours for poker along with the debt buildup or bankroll slashing that credits will do to me. If I had the choice between x amount of dollars or a college education, my estimated value of x is worth more to me.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:11 PM

You rock.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:42 PM

Paluka is right you are a bit of a tosser.

Way too arrogant you say some real dumb [censored] as well, those ego posts dont help much either.

As far as losing weight that is a good start to personal improvement. You probably want to get some weights as well not just run on a treadmill.

Personally I dont think going to a gym and seeing a bunch of buff guys is going to motivate you to do more exercise its probably going to make you feel out of place.

Diet is also very important no good exercising if you are gonna eat takeaway and frozen foods all the time.

One other thing you should probably try to get of the house a bit more. Do some of your walking around the neighbourhood.

Try to schedule some poker free days and work on some other areas of your life.

Being good at poker doesnt just involve being good at poker if you know what I mean.

Good luck
Old 06-22-2005, 07:54 PM

despite appearing to be helpful, your advice also isnt welcomed in my threads due to past experiences.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:00 PM

Many people in this thread, OP not included, should kill themselves.

Great post. Golf is a good idea. And I'll echo those suggesting you take some classes up at a local community college. Poker is no wicked jumpshot, nor crack rock.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dont listen to assholes like this who continue to encourage young guys like yourself to piss away their lives. You still have a chance at a normal life, maybe.

-Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats normal?

Who's to say what normal is and what a good life is, its all a matter of perception.