Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 02:07 PM

Default 1/2 NL... only $100 buyin at AC

Hey all,

I'm going to Atlantic City next week, and plan on playing the 1/2 NL tables.

However, I don't have much of a bankroll, and want to sit with about $80-$100 per sitting (will rebuy). We will be at the Borgata.

My questions are these:

(a) How big of stacks do people usually buy in for at these tables? 200? 500? 1000?

(b) How badly will I be bullied having a short stack like that?

(c) Any tips for playing in a situations like this?

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: 1/2 NL... only $100 buyin at AC

yea, bring at least 3-5 buy-ins, and plan to get it in on the flop with TPTK and better

the max for 1/2 live is usually 200 or 300 ....if im not mistaken, pre-flop raises are usually 5xBB+, so also be prepared to get it all-in preflop with your premium hands
Old 11-02-2005, 02:13 PM

50xBB isn't TOO short stacked. Playing with a short BR will cause problems IMO.

Playing shorter stacked poker will make a hand like TPTK the nuts, and you won't be making it past the flop, betting wise. If not the flop, then the turn.

Once you double up and get deeper, you should be aiming to stack the bad players with big stacks.

Just try to minimize your PF standards. SCs and such have reduced value. Play PPs for set value, and use the 5/10 rule. If you are playing over your limit, I suggest you think about what your getting into before you start playing- scared poker=dead money.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:13 PM

are there any AC 1/2 games with a $100 cap?
Old 11-02-2005, 02:21 PM

Orange,

Could you suggest some preflop standards for early/late position in a situation like this?

Should I switch to ultra-tight mode and pretty much nut-pedal?

What about situations where I raise preflop for a significant amount and don't hit? I hate being overly committted in marginal situations.

Here's what I'm considering preflop, please make suggestions as necessary:

Early/Mid:
AA-JJ: raise 4x BB
TT-22: limp for set value?
AK,AKs, AQs: raise 3x BB
KQ, KQs: limp?

Late:
all above, plus
QJ, QJs, AJ, AJs, AT, ATs
KT, KTs, QT, QTs
Axs, Kxs for cheap

Other thoughts:
Should I limp in with small-mid pocket pairs in early position and call most raises to try and hit a big set? (I know the other stack needs to be about 8-10x what the bet is to be worth it)
Suited connectors: should I be playing these at all?

Let me know what you think
Old 11-02-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(I know the other stack needs to be about 8-10x what the bet is to be worth it)

[/ QUOTE ]

it doesnt matter how big the other stack is, as long as they are over $100
Old 11-02-2005, 02:30 PM

I'm pretty tight with 50xBB. I prefer to nut-peddle/double up before playing looser poker. As for limping, I primarely limp only PPs, folding most else. I think raising 77-10s is tougher with shorter stacks- I play all of these for set value.

I raise AK,AQ- c-betting is tougher too. In live games, you'll find that you will get lots of callers PF, raise or not. I tend to not c-bet as frequently (very opponent/fold texture dependent).

In LP, I usually raise KQs,AJs,sometimes a few others, and limp suited broadways,PPs if there is no raise ahead.

In regards to calling raises with PPs, use the 5/10 rule. SCs, I rarely limp/play unless there are alot of limpers to me in good position.

Again, these are just some suggestions. I rarely play 50xBB stacks, so my experience is more limited than others- once you double up and get deeper, you can start playing some pokah..
Old 11-02-2005, 02:37 PM

Thanks orange...

Those preflop standards sound about right to me. I think I will pass on limping some of the more marginal hands (QT, KT), especially since continuation betting is going to be really expensive for me in a situation like this.

I'll let you know how it goes [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2005, 02:42 PM

I did the same thing you are planning to do at the Borgata a few months ago. I planned to sit with $100 and another $100 buy-in ready, but this wasn't really a bankroll...it was discretionary spending money. I didn't have a real bankroll, as in money that is only used for poker, at the time.

From my day there I would say you can play pretty comfortably with $100, but keep in mind that there was no one at my table that seemed knowledgeable enough to push me around with a bigger stack, and there were a couple of big stacks when I sat down. My table in particular had a lot of calling stations, but your results will probably vary. I saw people sitting with any amount of money possible. $100 was actually fairly common. I think the buy-in range was $60-300, and I had been expecting the max buy-in to be $100 like at the 2/4 limit tables.

Most importantly, play very tight at first and get a good read on your opponents before you start playing more speculative hands. If you're like me, you play much more online than live, so take advantage of all of the information you don't normally get staring at a computer screen. Pay special attention to what they're doing with their cards before it's their turn to act...if they look like they can't wait to throw their hand away, they probably will.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty tight with 50xBB. I prefer to nut-peddle/double up before playing looser poker. As for limping, I primarely limp only PPs, folding most else. I think raising 77-10s is tougher with shorter stacks- I play all of these for set value.

I raise AK,AQ- c-betting is tougher too. In live games, you'll find that you will get lots of callers PF, raise or not. I tend to not c-bet as frequently (very opponent/fold texture dependent).

In LP, I usually raise KQs,AJs,sometimes a few others, and limp suited broadways,PPs if there is no raise ahead.

In regards to calling raises with PPs, use the 5/10 rule. SCs, I rarely limp/play unless there are alot of limpers to me in good position.

Again, these are just some suggestions. I rarely play 50xBB stacks, so my experience is more limited than others- once you double up and get deeper, you can start playing some pokah..

[/ QUOTE ]

One more question: are you limping anything in early position here?