Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 07:29 PM

Default J8s 20-40 bb

i have Jh8h in the bb in a very good so cal 20-40 live game. utg a loose passive old lady raises, she gets 3 callers, i call. 5 of us.

the flop is 9s8d4h. i check, utg bets, 2 callers (loose random bad), i call.

the turn is the Kh. i check, utg bets, 2 caller, i checkraise.

comments?
Old 09-08-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Re: J8s 20-40 bb

"the turn is the Kh. i check, utg bets, 2 caller, i checkraise."

You're gonna need to provide something else, like "bettor likes to find tough folds" and "callers would always raise if they had top pair."

Oops. Didn't realize you picked up a draw. Disregard comments.

-Michael
Old 09-08-2005, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i have Jh8h in the bb in a very good so cal 20-40 live game. utg a loose passive old lady raises, she gets 3 callers, i call. 5 of us.

the flop is 9s8d4h. i check, utg bets, 2 callers (loose random bad), i call.

the turn is the Kh. i check, utg bets, 2 caller, i checkraise.

comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont mind checkraising here, the only problem is that your position kind of sucks. If loose passive lady wakes up with a hand she is gonna three bet your ass. If she folds the two guys in the middle and forces you to put in a third bet HU on the turn old lady is really gonna own you. If you have been pretty aggro up this point I really dont like it, but if you feel like she might be gunshy to pull the triger again on the turn with good but not great hands then I think its OK.

Also, how likely is she to fold something like 1010 or QQ on the turn? Would she always bet those hand again on the turn? Interesting hand.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:48 PM

Maybe this is too simple of a thought for this game, but if this c/raise is primarily a semibluff then it's bad. The point of a semibluff is that it has some chance of making someone fold a hand that beats you, which in my limited experience, will not happen at the Commerce 20 game. If you think (for some reason [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] ) there's a decent chance your pair is good then I love it .
Old 09-08-2005, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe this is too simple of a thought for this game, but if this c/raise is primarily a semibluff then it's bad. The point of a semibluff is that it has some chance of making someone fold a hand that beats you, which in my limited experience, will not happen at the Commerce 20 game. If you think (for some reason [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] ) there's a decent chance your pair is good then I love it .

[/ QUOTE ]

Or if every single out is good.

~D
Old 09-08-2005, 07:57 PM

Oh yah, duh. That makes me like the c/raise a lot more.

I suck at poker.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:58 PM

the only hands she's 3 betting the turn with here is a set. she would probably fold QQ and TT but maybe not all the time.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:44 PM

I'm kind of surprised you posted this, seems standard.

You might be ahead (doubtful but who knows), you have like 1/2 the deck to draw to, and even if nobody folds a better hand the raise probably has value just in due to how many players are in the hand.

I think the interesting part will be the river card, and what happens on the river. Eagerly awaiting...

lf
Old 09-09-2005, 12:15 AM

Default first note about the hand

i didnt play this hand, but i wont say who did yet. also, i think the flop play is a significant error. i think the play is to bet the flop.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:37 AM

Default Re: first note about the hand

[ QUOTE ]
i didnt play this hand, but i wont say who did yet. also, i think the flop play is a significant error. i think the play is to bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] you beat me to it! I definitly bet the flo, hoping to get raised by a T-J or overcards hand since this pot is big. People definitly will make moves to shut the others out, and this works to your advantge. The turn play is ok, since against this many people you have equity, but the problem is that you almost never get a hand better then yours to fold in a pot this big, espcially in the games you describe.

Gabe