Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2005, 11:35 PM

Default scubascuba (JJ) BB, 1st hand....

6-seater on Stars, 1st hand.
The dreaded JJ.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (6 handed) converter

Button (t1500)
SB (t1500)
Hero (t1500)
UTG (t1500)
MP (t1500)
CO (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls t20, MP calls t20, CO calls t20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t100) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t80</font>, UTG folds, MP folds, CO calls t80, SB calls t80.

Turn: (t340) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t160</font>, CO calls t160, SB folds.

River: (t660) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t120</font>, Hero calls t120.

Final Pot: t900

Results:
<font color="white"> CO had 66, flopped the boat </font>

Thoughts/opinions on all streets appreciated.....
Old 05-27-2005, 11:46 PM

Default Re: scubascuba (JJ) BB, 1st hand....

Raise preflop. Other than that your play on the hand looks fine to me, your opponent is an idiot for not reraising.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero checks.

[/ QUOTE ]

why???
Old 05-28-2005, 12:03 AM

My thinking........

Opening the pot, UTG etc.....I would have raised PF (probably a little more than usual (5-7x'ish). From in the blinds - in an already family pot, etc...not too often.

For one, I know from experience in these 6-seaters, it wouldn't have trimmed the field - much. I certainly wouldn't be raising to build a bpot. Plus, it would have had to have been a monster raise -- called only by another pair, AK/Q, etc. And with a caller(s), I'm still out of position facing perhaps an A/K/Q on the flop.

I'm only proceeding with a 'perfect', no overs flop...this seemed like the cheapest way to do it. IMO, it also lends credit to a blind's hand leading out on a 'no paint' flop.

Anyway, that was the thinking.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:13 AM

Think you played fine.. though I would raise PF. Btw, I like the river check. Hes played the hand strange to say the least, and you dont wanna risk being Cr'd on this river- the bet seems to lack value here, though extremely tempting. I like raising PF here tho, get someone with a worse hand commited, to make a mistake post flop.. I see your reasoning but raising PF here may be the only way to make a profit off this hand.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:06 AM

I agree with scuba. I don't think raising preflop (unless it's a huge bet) is going to make the 66 fold.

NH, tough luck.

Z
Old 05-28-2005, 01:17 AM

I would check-raise the flop, if it doesn't win you the pot there I'm done with the hand.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:07 AM

The point is not to make the 66 fold ...it's to make him pay pre-flop when his odds are against him. If you raise pre-flop, he pays, he doesn't hit almost all the time, and you've got his chips. If you don't raise pre-flop, he doesn't hit almost all the time, and you don't have anymore of his chips (because he's probably folding).

Make him pay when the odds are against him.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:43 AM

I think your river check was wise, and the bet was the right amount to call with. I think you probably want to see a showdown here as cheap as possible.

That being said, if I had JJ from the BB with this much limping preflop, I'd make a huge raise. I'd probably raise to t150 here.

Scuba