Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Party 20/40: King high flush draw catches kicker.

A friend of mine reviewed some hand histories for me and disagreed with my play in this hand.

Villain is a solid, multi-tabling 20/40 regular. His name starts w/ the letters phu. Stats: 16/8/2.7 over 30k hands.

Party Poker 20/40 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP3 calls, Button folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

River: (8 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP3 folds, Hero folds.

Here are my friend's comments:

Full ring you are SB and complete with K5s its 4 way unraised.

Flop comes T87 two of your suit you bet out! I think check/call checkraise is better here. Its highly likely someone hit this flop any T late position 8 or 9 will bet here even QJ.

Also on the river I prefer to induce a bluff(you catch a king and bet out) rather than bet/fold, sometimes a 9 or a flush draw will fire another barrel here pot is decent I wanna see a showdown.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Party 20/40: King high flush draw catches kicker.

I don't think there is anything wrong with betting the flop. Check-raising is viable as well, but I like your line just fine on the flop.

Turn check-call is fine.

I don't think you can safely fold the river. Your opponent's aggression is 2.7, which is pretty high. I think check-call is the best line. I think he will almost always bet the river. Once you've bet out, I would pay off the raise. An opponent this aggressive may be "value" raising a hand like AT or T8 or K9, thinking that you are donk-betting a ten. He may also be bluff raising a flush draw or a nine.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:09 PM

I really like checkraising a lot more here. If your opponent is capable of a bluff 3bet, then, bet-call. He'll almost certainly bet a 10 for value here, and a checkraise looks so unbelivably suspicious that he'll have to pay it off.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:22 PM

i AGREE WITH THIS POSTjavascript:void(0)
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2005, 07:29 PM

I have no idea what to do on this flop, but I agree with your friend about the river. With so many worse hands the opponent could have (another missed flush draw, something involving a missed straight draw, etc.) and him being aggressive, I don't like taking a river line that prevents me from seeing a showdown.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:41 PM

Pre-Flop, I fold.

Flop, I agree with your friend. I don't like a bet becuase you are unlikely to take it down right there and you really don't want someone with a pair raising to protect their hand. If the board was less coordinated I would like a bet much more. But here the board is draw heavy with all medium cards. Its very unlikely a flop bet will take it down against 3 players in this unraised pot. If its checked to the button who bets I checkraise, otherwise I check/call.

Turn, after your bet is raised on the flop, calling is automatic.

River, I think its close between check/calling and check/raising mainly because you really don't have any idea how strong BB's hand is in this unraised pot. I don't think you should be worried about inducing a bluff. The fact that BB bet the turn after MP3's cold call suggests to me that BB has a made hand. In the heat of the moment I would probably check/call if MP3 called and check/raise if MP3 folded. You will almost always be paid off by a worse hand and its a safe fold if you are 3-bet.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:08 PM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

I don't think the flop matters much.

On the river, the donk bet oftentimes screams that u're folding to a raise especially without a draw coming in, and if villain knows this, he's probably raising some hands that u beat. I should think it would be tougher for him to do this 3-way, but this depends on his read of MP3. I think that c/c or b/c is a better line. I would rather not invest two bets on the river, so i c/c.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:35 PM

I hate folding to the river raise. I see a high percentage of bluff raises when I donkbet the river.