Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 08:25 AM

Default Party $50 +$5 Question

340 start down to 51, top 40 make the money. Average stack is ~6,500 I'm in MP w/ 2,900, UTG has 3,800. Blinds 200-400, UTG opens for 3x, he's been pretty solid, the entire table has been stealing blinds off eachother the last 2 orbits. I have a pair of tens. Given the implied strength of UTG's hand, anyone like a stop and go here as opposed to a push? Anyone get out of the way? (I'm in it to win it, but the realist at this point wouldn't mind sneaking another 11 places to cash out).
Old 05-24-2005, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Party $50 +$5 Question

i push here every time. what i'm worried about w/ a stop n go is letting someone else come into the pot from later position, and then any flop with a card over a T is going to suck.

there's no way i'm folding, either.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:49 AM

yeah, the fold never crossed my mind, not for a whopping $60 pay day.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:15 AM

i forgot, but this isn't a stop N go either. you need to act first on the next round for this to be a stop N go (i.e., you call out of the BB and push on the flop.) given that he acts first on any flop, he can bet and commit himself so the point of getting him to fold on the flop is lost. just push.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:41 AM

You can't stop and go when you have position on the bettor. I would fold this. The solid villain is short-stacked as well, and he bets out (not all-in) from UTG. There is no way you are better than 55% here, and you could easily have only 2 outs.

-Magnus
Old 05-24-2005, 10:58 AM

it feels pretty tight, but i think i fold here. if utg has been playing tight, screwing around with his utg raise is not pleasant. you don't have enough chips to fold out a hand like AJ if he has loosened up his raising standards.

if you knew he had AK/AQ, i think it's a fold. you'd be 55% and there is some dead money out there, but there's also a risk of someone behind you having a monster and you're somewhat risk averse right now. what about pairs? obviously he's raising JJ-AA. is he also raising 66-99 to balance those out? 99 maybe, but probably not 66, and you still have to worry about people behind and you don't want to gamble.

i think it's a fold.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:10 PM

schwaza, interesting point on AK or AQ as I was hoping he was playing AK and would hold up. Ends up I push, the button (big stack) calls and the original raiser pushes--he shows KK, button shows AQ. I flopped a T, he rivered a K and off I went. Thought the AQ call was a pretty bad call by the button,big stack or not, given the action.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:23 PM

Id fold.. 3x BB UTG from a TAG is at best 99. Otherwise, its EASILY JJ QQ KK AK AQ AJ .. you can simply pick a better spot, especialyl considering you mentioned the table has been easy to steal from. I realize you want to win and your short. But the blinds are not enormous. Pick up some small pots, and wait for a dominating spot. More times than not, this works when the stacks are relatively deep as I believe they were? as long as the table isnt ultra aggro, I like the fold.