Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Small suited connectors = bad idea?

It just occurred to me that small suited connectors may be a big leak in my 10-handed ring game strategy. In micro-NL the players are so loose that if there are two more of the same suit as mine out there, they're probably taking the flop too. And when my 3s4s goes against his Js7s, there's a very good chance I'm getting stacked. So how much should I tighten up? Can 89s be limped? 9Ts? What about suited gappers... is J9s sometimes playable?

On a related topic, from what positions should I be playing Kxs? I've been limping with it from everywhere and wonder if that's another leak when I hit my king and don't know what to do with it. I've been taking too many flops (40-45%) and I think these are two of the hands that push that percentage up.

Thanks -DP
Old 03-17-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Small suited connectors = bad idea?

If they table is passive I limp with suited connectors no gaps and limp late with 1 gap suited connectors. Will call up to 4xbb with suited connector no gaps preferably with more than two opponents.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:09 PM

focus more on position. there are (rare) times when limping K6s on the button is ok but it should never be played in MP or EP. same idea for a hand like 34s.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:14 PM

34s is a character builder. It doesn't matter that they're sooted. Muck them and be proud that a leak in your game is now shored.

Also muck Kx unless you're trying to steal the blinds. If you get resistance, and want to see a flop, OK. If you go UI, muckaroo, buckaroo.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:40 PM

Suited connectors in early position are baaaaaaaad. When you're drawing you want to be able to control the action and you can't do this out of position.

Suited connectors in late position are g00t. You can take free cards, make semi-bluff raises, whatever you want. It's awesome.

Also, suited connectors play best with deep stacks, preferably around 100X BB.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:02 PM

i dont play either of these types of hands,
lowest suited connectors i play are 78s from late position.
Kx i dont even blink an eye folding
FWIW my vpip is 26% past 10K hands
that may be too tight for you
another way to think of these types of hands are for image builders, this may bring them close to even EV or slightly neg EV for you.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:18 PM

Limping with Kxs from ep is bad. Only only only from lp with multiple limpers. It's a pretty weak hand out of position.

In Lp with a few limpers you would be suprised how many suited gap hands you can play. If I were on the button with 3-4 limpers in front of me you would have to pry my hands off J9s. It's all about position baby. I can't even remember the last time I folded QTs in LP with multiple limpers. Then you start thinking hey I'm playing way too loose here, the trick is realizing that you ONLY do it in LP AND with limpers. Then you'll see that this type of situation doesn't come around very often. My VP$IP is probably around 18% now and I always would limp in LP with J9s and multiple limper.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:25 PM

"vpip is 26% past 10K hands"

wow you're loose. If you're folding the types of hands you say you're folding you must be playing lots of Ax and big unsuited cards (bad) or you must be getting very lucky with lots of playable hands (good) or you steal like a crazy mo fo and never get caught (bad, this usually means your table is sucky tight), or you're lying and one of those do as I say not as I do people(bad).
Old 03-17-2005, 04:29 PM

should have clarified all 6 max, i think that is fine as my 55.30 PT BB/100 indicates for 19K hands
Old 03-17-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
should have clarified all 6 max, i think that is fine as my 55.30 PT BB/100 indicates for 19K hands

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm gonna go out on a limb and say your current rate of winning 1 big blind every hand will not continue.