Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 04:14 PM

Default How do I stop busting out early?

I have been going on a terrible run at MTTs - and I am playing in one tonight.

I used to be a lock to make it through to the 2nd half - and had a pretty good run of final tables - but for the last 8 or 9 times, I have busted out fairly early. And the thing is that there is not one cause of my busting out that I can point to. Each time it has been something different.

So what advice can you give me to stop myself from getting into early confrontations when I do not have the best of it?

A mantra?

A device that will give me an electrical shock if I go all in on a probably losing hand?

Something?
Old 09-22-2005, 04:23 PM

Default Re: How do I stop busting out early?

Chip accumulation is very important. The implied odds in the beginning of the tournaments are quite large, and suited connectors are my favorite way of getting chips. If you play on stars, your stack is big enough to limp nearly every 1-gap suited cards and be able to flop a big hand and get paid off. Don't sit around waiting for raising hands. AK is much worse than suited connectors in these tournaments early on.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:24 PM

bad runs happen. I blanked 30 MTTs in a row, then made 14 Final tables one month. No wins [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] You have to figure out what's wrong with your game first though.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Chip accumulation is very important. The implied odds in the beginning of the tournaments are quite large, and suited connectors are my favorite way of getting chips. If you play on stars, your stack is big enough to limp nearly every 1-gap suited cards and be able to flop a big hand and get paid off. Don't sit around waiting for raising hands. AK is much worse than suited connectors in these tournaments early on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love to hear other opinions on this advice, since its pretty much at odds with every piece of advice I have ever hear don tournament play.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have been going on a terrible run at MTTs - and I am playing in one tonight.

I used to be a lock to make it through to the 2nd half - and had a pretty good run of final tables - but for the last 8 or 9 times, I have busted out fairly early. And the thing is that there is not one cause of my busting out that I can point to. Each time it has been something different.

So what advice can you give me to stop myself from getting into early confrontations when I do not have the best of it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because you lost doesn't mean your decisions were bad (and visa-versa). We'd have to see the actual hands to give you a more thourough analysis.

Tournies are very high variance, and busting early in a string of 9 or so doesn't necessarily mean anything. The thing to do is to look at each bust out and figure out whether your decisions were reasonable or not. If they were, then that's just the nature of the game. If not, where was your mistake? Figure that out and continue on as a slightly stronger player.

If you have some specific situations, post them. Then we can tear you to shreads. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Oz-
Old 09-22-2005, 05:15 PM

What's wrong with busting out early?
Old 09-22-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love to hear other opinions on this advice, since its pretty much at odds with every piece of advice I have ever hear don tournament play.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're talking no-limit right? Then I absolutely agree with this advice.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:40 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We're talking no-limit right? Then I absolutely agree with this advice.

[/ QUOTE ]
To an extent. Limping early with suited 1-gappers is better than limping with AK, but I'm not often limping with AK. But I do agree with the general content of the post.

And who cares if you bust out early? That is better than busting out on the bubble any day.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's wrong with busting out early?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i used to rarely bust out early, but since i've been play much more aggressively and IMO much better i bust out early quite often. i'm also amongst the leaders or at least well above average going into bubble time WAY more often, which is a hugely profitable chip building scenario.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:04 PM

I think we'd need to see some hand examples to get a feel.. sometimes you are just meant to go broke with a lot of hands..

I regard myself as a pretty cautious player.. sometimes I'll make a dumb move and get knocked out really early when I'm not focusing, and sometimes I just can't let go of a hand..of course usually the people who win tourneys are also the people who risk getting knocked out in the first 30 minutes.. they know that they need to push their good hands even at the expense of getting ousted