Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2005, 11:41 AM

Default Late tourney help..

When you are down to the final 3 tables or so does it become correct to call raises of 2-3 x the BB from an early position raiser with small pocket pairs?

lets say you have 50K in chips and the blinds are 3K and 6K
and someone in early position raises it to 12-14K. the raaser is equal in chips with you.

Is this a fold/call/raise situation?

What about having A2 -A7 suiited, do these become raise hands in early position?

I have trouble changing geares late in tourneys, I am often unsure which way to change gears.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Late tourney help..

I'm far from an expert, but...

I think it depends on a lot of variables. First of all, your image of the EP raiser...has he been playing a lot of hands lately? Is he capable of folding preflop (or on the flop) to an over the top move? Will he bluff into you on the flop with A high? Then, it depends on how you believe the PFR perceives you...have you been playing very tightly, and would a re-raise lead him to believe you must have AA-TT/AK? Are the players behind you likely to get out of the way with anything less than these holdings?

Finally, it depends on your confidence in your ability to outplay the rest of the field. If you re-raise and get called, the best you can hope for is a coinflip situation; if you feel like most of the remaining players are more skilled than you are, then a coinflip is in your favor. If not, it might be better to fold & wait for a more advantageous situation.

FWIW, I would not call 2nd in here; I'm either re-raising or folding (and if I re-raise, it almost has to be an all-in given your chip situation).
Old 05-15-2005, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Late tourney help..

When you are down to the final 3 tables or so does it become correct to call raises of 2-3 x the BB from an early position raiser with small pocket pairs? Usually the stacks aren't deep enough to call here.

lets say you have 50K in chips and the blinds are 3K and 6K
and someone in early position raises it to 12-14K. the raaser is equal in chips with you.

Is this a fold/call/raise situation? Well, every situation is fold/call(check)/raise(bet).... But yes, it is either AI or fold.

What about having A2 -A7 suiited, do these become raise hands in early position? If you are doing so because you have command of the table, then yes. If you are doing so because you are scared, then no. Also, remember to adjust your position when the table goes SH. UTG is CO 4-handed, play as a CO would.

I have trouble changing geares late in tourneys, I am often unsure which way to change gears. It really depends on the table. Remember, do the opposite of what the table is doing. If they are too tight, FIRE AWAY. If they are too loose, wait, and let them double you up.