Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 07:49 AM

Default A player who acts instantly every time - suspicious?

In the last couple of days I've been at a table with one player, he has a distinctive name which was the first reason I remembered him, but also his play seems very strange to me.

Whenever he's first to act in a round he always acts instantly, check or bet, and by instantly I mean as I see the last card of the flop slide out on the table, his action has already appeared in the box where his name is.

When heads up and second to act, same thing, irregardless of which action his opponent takes, he reacts instantly. When under the gun, he's bet or folded with half a second of the BB getting his second card dealt.

Worth emailing Party about (with their reknowned customer service)? or am I being paranoid here? He's down 2BB/100 over a couple of hundred hands so if it is a bot it might need a bit of work [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2005, 08:25 AM

Default Re: A player who acts instantly every time - suspicious?

meh, if you have the time.. why not. Go ahead and shoot out an email.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:36 AM

I with my friend discussed some ideas about bots recently. We even made a list of features for such a bot. After good playing algorithm next priority was random pauses (to imitate human) from 0.2sec to 5sec before every action... I think its not too hard to implement...
Old 08-01-2005, 08:44 AM

This could be a simple explanation.

What type of connection do you have? if you have a slower connection, you just may be lagging a bit, he may be seeing the cards before you do and acting before you do because of a slower connection.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:52 AM

Do you have card graphics set to on or off? By on, I mean where you see the cards being dealt out to everyone (and come on the flop) one by one. By off, I mean where they appear instantly. I suspect that the explanation here is that the person you're talking about has it set to off because when this is the case, the person who has it set to off sees his cards instantly and basically has the option to act earlier timewise. Thus, if he's not a slow player, he acts before everyone with the card graphics set to on even see their cards. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2005, 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have card graphics set to on or off? By on, I mean where you see the cards being dealt out to everyone (and come on the flop) one by one. By off, I mean where they appear instantly. I suspect that the explanation here is that the person you're talking about has it set to off because when this is the case, the person who has it set to off sees his cards instantly and basically has the option to act earlier timewise. Thus, if he's not a slow player, he acts before everyone with the card graphics set to on even see their cards. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I've confused many many people with this option.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In the last couple of days I've been at a table with one player, he has a distinctive name which was the first reason I remembered him, but also his play seems very strange to me.

Whenever he's first to act in a round he always acts instantly, check or bet, and by instantly I mean as I see the last card of the flop slide out on the table, his action has already appeared in the box where his name is.

When heads up and second to act, same thing, irregardless of which action his opponent takes, he reacts instantly. When under the gun, he's bet or folded with half a second of the BB getting his second card dealt.

Worth emailing Party about (with their reknowned customer service)? or am I being paranoid here? He's down 2BB/100 over a couple of hundred hands so if it is a bot it might need a bit of work [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

"irregardless" isn't a word. and wouldn't it be better for you to try to figure out what the bot is doing and then use that to your advantage? sit to his left and min raise his blinds. most bots will fold.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"irregardless" isn't a word. and wouldn't it be better for you to try to figure out what the bot is doing and then use that to your advantage? sit to his left and min raise his blinds. most bots will fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the linguistics advice. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I have a 3 meg cable line so it's not lag, but I didn't think about the card graphics option. I do have them set on and he could indeed have them off so that could well be it.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:56 AM

Default Re: A player who acts instantly every time - suspicious? OT

[ QUOTE ]
"irregardless" isn't a word.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it is a word and can be found in the OED. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] I still think one should use regardless as it is more correct.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

"irregardless" isn't a word.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe its not a word in canada, but it is a word in america EH! There is nothing worse than a uninformed linguist.

From merrian-webster's:
Main Entry: ir·re·gard·less
Pronunciation: "ir-i-'gärd-l&s
Function: adverb
Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless
nonstandard : REGARDLESS
usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.