Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 02:11 PM

Default AK - 6max, paired board, straight on river

Villain is 41/11/2.5 over 35 hands.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

CO ($68.60)
Button ($24.40)
SB ($42.90)
BB ($26.92)
Hero ($51)
MP ($24.60)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $2.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($5.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, SB calls $4.

Turn: ($13.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($13.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $15</font>, Hero?
Old 10-25-2005, 02:20 PM

Default Re: AK - 6max, paired board, straight on river

Bet 1/2 the pot &amp; see what happens. If he raises I probably call. He is very loose so you can't necessarily put him on a boat. It would also depend on his SD stats but given the info we have that would be my play
Old 10-25-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet 1/2 the pot &amp; see what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, what is that - a min-raise to $30?
Old 10-25-2005, 02:25 PM

didn't realize that he bet. I would base my decision on his SD stats &amp; what I have seen from him so far on the river. I think this is definitely worth a call though. It is an overbet which could mean he's trying to buy it and it could mean he has a strong hand. A raise only makes sense if he would call w/ weaker hands than yours. That is tough to say given the info.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:30 PM

reraise him all-in

If he has the boat, then wth was he calling your preflop raise with? I can't give him credit for it.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:38 PM

an all in re-raise isn't getting called by a losing hand i think. i say call.

Boat isn't really much of a possibility as any of those PP's would re-raise at 6-max and Q-7, J-7 or 10-7 really wouldn't call the PF raise OOP. I guess pocket sevens are the only hand you should worry about. I'm wondering if he has the sucker straight, though it seems like a strong bet for a hand that wants to get called/raised.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:39 PM

sucker straight and a 7 with a high kicker could very well call.

If you don't agree with that, then min raise. But at the very least, I don't call, because I have to believe I have the best hand.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:17 PM

This is a situation where stats don't tell the whole story. Villain is aggressive, but....is he stupid aggressive - betting and raising with marginal hands, or is he smart aggressive - betting his strong hands and folding most everything else before the river? Both types will give you that high aggression stat.

I see two possible scenerios:

1) A smart villain flopped a small set and filled up on the turn. He put you on a draw and checked the turn to give you a chance to catch something, or else he was hoping for a check-raise and you didn't oblige by betting. Either way, now that your straight is there, he's betting hoping to 3-bet all-in after your raise.

2) A not-so-bright villain has a TPWK. When you called his flop bet he put you on TP as well and is afraid of your kicker. Then you checked behind on the turn, so he figures your kicker is also weak or you have a pair of tens. So he leads the river, not realizing that the J makes a straight.

So it all depends on how smart you think villain is.

Against a relative unknow (which is still likely the case after just 35 hands) I'm going to just call.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:28 PM

Just call. I can't really see you doing anything but calling. You aren't laying down the nut straight when villain hasn't shown any real strength until now and you aren't raising a pot sized bet on a paired board.

I would highly recommend AGAINST reraising all in. In the event you hand is good, villain will most likely fold, and he is obviously calling with a full house. This move has negative expected value for sure.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:30 PM

I say call the overbet.

If the bet was 1/2 pot up to pot I would say push or min-raise.