Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 08:52 PM

Default Re: Your Diet and Nutrition

I certainly don't adhere strictly to a hunter-gatherer (unless I am instructing our hunter/gatherer course). I like really good cheeses and yogurt too much to give those up.

I think that environment (and season) plays somewhat of a role in whether hunting or gathering provides more calories. In southwestern Utah during the summer it is easier for me to eat fish, mice, squirrel and lizard than most gathered foods- although buffalo berry is plentiful during the end of summer. I would suspect that a little later when acorns and pine nut come on they would be a big source of calories.

One thing that I think is missing from the diet of most modern americans is fasting. I think as a rule we eat way too much food and a break once in a while is a good thing. I try, but don't always succed in fasting once a month for at least a day or two.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Your Diet and Nutrition

[ QUOTE ]
I certainly don't adhere strictly to a hunter-gatherer (unless I am instructing our hunter/gatherer course). I like really good cheeses and yogurt too much to give those up.

I think that environment (and season) plays somewhat of a role in whether hunting or gathering provides more calories. In southwestern Utah during the summer it is easier for me to eat fish, mice, squirrel and lizard than most gathered foods- although buffalo berry is plentiful during the end of summer. I would suspect that a little later when acorns and pine nut come on they would be a big source of calories.

One thing that I think is missing from the diet of most modern americans is fasting. I think as a rule we eat way too much food and a break once in a while is a good thing. I try, but don't always succed in fasting once a month for at least a day or two.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure that our stone age forebears went hungry from time to time. I know that modern American portion sizes (as served by restaurants, for example) are ridiculously large. As a diabetic with a heart condition, I am on a very limited diet--low sodium, low fat, restricted carbs. I eat much less than I used to and am slightly hungry most of the time. A meat (lean only) portion should be 2-3 oz.--the size of a deck of cards for those of you familiar with a deck of cards. Fish portions can be a little larger. That turns out to be plenty for nutritional needs. Great slabs of well-marbled beef should be reserved for holiday feasts.

The enlargement of portion sizes has been insidious. A friend of mine needed to buy a new set of dishes, and all the dishes on the market were too large to fit on the shelves of her 50s cabinets. Since we tend to dish out portions of food by the amount of plate they cover, it stands to reason that larger plates = larger portions. I never noticed the super-sizing of plates until my friend told me about her problem. The super-sizing of fast-food portions has, however, not been insidious. Nothing could be more obvious.

Because of my diabetes I have to restrict my intake of fruit and to some extent vegetables (a total meal for me is usually 8-12 oz), but those who can eat fruits and veggies freely will not be bothered by the smaller portions of meat. Salt was a valuable and often rare commodity for early humans, so best not to consume larger quantities of sodium. The amount of sodium in processed foods is staggering. BTW it is eyeopening to get the nutrition facts for fast food and chain restaurant menus. Take a look and then decide if you really want to eat that stuff on a regular basis.