Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What % of the time does the button have aces or AK?
<25% 3 17.65%
somewhere in the middle 9 52.94%
>75% 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2005, 02:19 PM

Default Re: WMDs and Bush - Lie or mistake?

I voted lie based on hearing Colin Powell's presentation of the evidence. I can't remember all the details, but I heard it on NPR. I really respect him. I could tell his heart wasn't in it when he presented the evidence, and wasn't comfortable selling the package.

I decided right then that if it wasn't good enough for him, it wasn't good enough. At that point everyone making the case for war started sounding like they were trying to convince themselves as much as everyone else.

Still, it's good that Saddam is gone, albeit 12 years past due.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I voted lie based on hearing Colin Powell's presentation of the evidence. I can't remember all the details, but I heard it on NPR. I really respect him. I could tell his heart wasn't in it when he presented the evidence, and wasn't comfortable selling the package.

I decided right then that if it wasn't good enough for him, it wasn't good enough. At that point everyone making the case for war started sounding like they were trying to convince themselves as much as everyone else.

Still, it's good that Saddam is gone, albeit 12 years past due.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting that you listened on radio and decided one way. I watched him make his presentation on TV and I decided the other.

Like a lot of ex-military, I don't like the idea of "gettin' it ooooooon." I watched Powell while he was CJCOS and developed a deep respect for him. He was given an assignment and he carried it out. That included listening to his advisors and trusting their judgement, then making the go/no-go decisions himself. He swore an oath, he meant it and he did his duty.

Because I respected and trusted the man, I believed the stories that he argued, early on, against invading Iraq. I know he saw the potential problems and the ramifications of making the first strike. I have no doubt he made his feelings known to GWB.

Then, the "intel" was presented to Powell. He's not stupid. He has sources/means to verify. He used them. My experience with intel, human and electronic, has been that it's not always conclusive. Interpretations are made. Disagreements abound. Consensus is frequently marginal.

Powell was, IMO, convinced the intel was correct. I didn't see any hesitation or attempts to deceive. I believed he believed what he was saying. And now we are where we are.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:46 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
My experience with intel, human and electronic, has been that it's not always conclusive. Interpretations are made. Disagreements abound. Consensus is frequently marginal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish more people understood this.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My experience with intel, human and electronic, has been that it's not always conclusive. Interpretations are made. Disagreements abound. Consensus is frequently marginal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish more people understood this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think people do, that's why they don't like us making important (life/death) decisions based on intelligence when it seems close.

Regards Mack