Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 02:07 AM

Default Your thoughts please

Pokerstars $11+r 45k gauranteed
Some Reads:
MP2 is extremely loose and has made some horrible calls. I have him classified as a donator and have raised his limps from the button twice in the last 80hands (both of which he called and folded to my post flop continuation bet)
Sidenote: as I write this he just called all his chips with J6s (he had raised to 2400 and someone came over the top for 38k more.... he called and lost to K6s)

Knowing this, I believe my biggest mistake is not re-raising preflop but I planned to trap if he hit the flop)

BB is pretty solid and has not been very active or made any notable moves.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t800 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

BB (t22710)
UTG (t11450)
UTG+1 (t22755)
MP1 (t3388)
MP2 (t39485)
MP3 (t29350)
CO (t22265)
Hero (t15180)
SB (t45347)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t1600</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t1600, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls t800.

Flop: (t4400) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t2400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t7000</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t21060</font>
edit: mp2 folds

Ignoring the fact I should've raised before the flop, what's the play on the flop?
Old 11-21-2005, 02:10 AM

Default Re: Your thoughts please

Ugh..again reraise preflop (like u mentioned).

But after the BB moves in, if MP2 folds I think you have to call.

I would've re-raised preflop, and would've moved in on the flop. In your spot you have to call
Old 11-21-2005, 02:26 AM

You're getting more than 4:1 with an overpair here, and I think there's at least a 20% chance a loose player would do this with top pair (or even air if he's a crazy lag). Maybe he has 2p, but I can't pass up those odds, especially with half my stack in the pot already.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:40 AM

I was almost 100% confident I'm beat here. Who check raises after a bet and a raise with something that I beat here? The BB was a solid player and I don't see him making this move wihtout a hand that has me beat. He's got to know I'm commited and calling.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:36 AM

Half of your stack is in that pot--I've only folded once in this scenario. (and ironically actually came back to finish on the final table) (you'd be surprised though how often that hand is actually good) Since this is the $11 tourn I'm calling with half of my stack in that pot. There's too much of a chance you have the best hand.

edit--or if he has a hand like J9 or 93 you have about pot odds so you're calling.

Your mistake was preflop so this is really irrelevant anyway.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:23 AM

I can't see folding getting those odds with an overpair. He may play this way with AJ or even KJ; he could even be bluffing or semi-bluffing. You're good by the river &gt;20% of the time here.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:33 AM

3.3:1 odds, if he shows you J9 you're fine to call.

And, i think AJ can do this.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was almost 100% confident I'm beat here. Who check raises after a bet and a raise with something that I beat here? The BB was a solid player and I don't see him making this move wihtout a hand that has me beat. He's got to know I'm commited and calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a draw heavy board. I think your overpair is probably good.

Even against 2 pair, you have outs.

Very easy call with pot odds.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:14 PM

FWIW, I did call knowing I was behind and sucked out big time. He had J3.

I just thought this was an interesting hand because the odds are fairly close and there is a very good chance of exiting the tournament on this hand when I call (while folding still leaves you with enough chips to fight back)

I don't usuaully get cute pre-flop like this, I just thought I had a good chance of doubling through MP2 with the right flop. Also the min-raise was weird as it was the first time he did it. I really wanted to see an Ace-less flop as I was very confidient outplaying him post-flop (if not this hand, one of the other 70% he was in)

Thanks