Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which?
T1 35 30.70%
T2 79 69.30%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Inspired by another poster\'s religion....

On the 500 BB "rule" for 6 max games. My current roll is a tad under 400 BB for my limit (3/6 6 max). Sooner rather than later (after this month RR+Party's VIP bonus), I should be around 500 BB for 3/6 6 max, Which I am currently playing. Now, I should say this. I have a good full time non poker job which pays all my bills. I aim for 20 hrs/wk in play time. Once I hit 300 BB for 5/10 6 max, I am thinking about taking a shot at 5/10 6 max. However, I'm worried that if I take a shot and hit an immediate downslide, I'll not only have to move back to 3/6 6 max, but I will be under rolled for it (which I am now, but I can deal with that). My main goal right now is to move up limits as quickly as possible to build my BR. I take a fixed amount out each week, and I don't plan for that to change that amount regardless of BR, so as I move up and this amount becomes a smaller % of my winnings, my BR will build much faster. Another option I've been thinking about is waiting till 400 BB, taking a shot, and moving back down if I drop 100 BB right away. Given my situation, the desire/goal to increase my bankroll quickly, and my fixed weekly deduction, what is my best option and why?
Old 10-27-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Inspired by another poster\'s religion....

300 is ok to take a shot and if you have a job then it should be easy. 5/10 is fun
Old 10-27-2005, 03:14 PM

I'd wait for 400BB to take a shot, and move down if you drop 50-100 (whatever your limit is) so you don't jeapordize your entire bankroll. Moving up quickly is a great goal, but things can(and will) go terribly wrong at some point, and you want to make sure you don't risk all you've worked for.

That said, definitely take a shot when you have the BR such that if you lost the $ you took a shot with you'd still be comfortable at your current level.

Surf
Old 10-27-2005, 03:18 PM

Another thing you might want to think about is not taking anything out of your bankroll for the time being. It will grow much more rapidly this way, your earn potential will go up quicker, and you will make more money in the short term.

Just bankorll build for now, get the toys later....
Old 10-27-2005, 03:22 PM

Take the shot at 5/10 at 300BBs. The game isn't terribly different, but the earn sure as hell is. I just moved up at the beginning of the month so 3/6 is still fresh in my mind. 5/10 really isn't scary.

Besides, just concentrate on running hot when you move up. No worries then.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now, I should say this. I have a good full time non poker job which pays all my bills..... My main goal right now is to move up limits as quickly as possible to build my BR. I take a fixed amount out each week, and I don't plan for that to change that amount regardless of BR, so as I move up and this amount becomes a smaller % of my winnings, my BR will build much faster. .... Given my situation, the desire/goal to increase my bankroll quickly, and my fixed weekly deduction, what is my best option and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your best option IMO (if you want to move up as soon as possible) is to stop taking money out of your bankroll. You can do that later when you make more/hour. I also think waiting to move up until you have around 400BB is wise, unless you just want to take a quick 50BB shot and hope to get lucky - thats about all you can do with less...
Old 10-27-2005, 03:25 PM

You beat me to it...
Old 10-27-2005, 03:27 PM

With a full-time job, you should be much less concerned with taking out winnings each week or month. I'm in the same boat as you (with the solid job, I mean), and I never touch my roll.

If you're moving up to 5/10, wait for 400-500 BBs. If you're just taking a shot, keep your 3/6 roll, and take around 100-150 BBs for 5/10 and give it a shot. That way if the shot sucks and you lose, dropping down ain't no thang. If you post solid winnings and think you'll be a winner in 5/10, then you can transfer over your 3/6 roll and be properly rolled to make it your main game.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:28 PM

ignore all these bankroll strategies. if you have good judgment thats all that matters. only gamble with money you can afford to lose. if you take a 50BB shot at 5/10 and fall you can go back to 3/6. or, you can take a 100BB shot and still have plenty. play with money you can afford to lose and take shots at game that have a higher expectation per hour.

if you have a steady job then youre fine. if youre a winning player you just dont want to lose your entire roll and quit poker, because obviously that would be -ev. if you lose your roll and can afford to invest more than take shots.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ignore all these bankroll strategies. if you have good judgment thats all that matters. only gamble with money you can afford to lose. if you take a 50BB shot at 5/10 and fall you can go back to 3/6. or, you can take a 100BB shot and still have plenty. play with money you can afford to lose and take shots at game that have a higher expectation per hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that this is the best way to think about moving up at the lower stakes. Too many people put so much emphasis on having exactly XXX BB's.