Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2005, 12:48 AM

Default I have started slowplaying some Top Pair Hands Head-Up, Like-IT?

Until Recently I bet flop.

"When you are last to act and you are against an extremely aggressive player, you should slowplay some hands that don't seem to merit this strategy." -HEFAP pg 204

Now this may be basic/ routine for some of you vets, or even some of you others... but I think this is helping my game.

I would like to point out that I could have/ should have done this with a worse kicker as well.

Villain is 19.5/12/2.5

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (2.20 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (4.20 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 8.20 BB

Thoughts?
Old 02-25-2005, 12:56 AM

Default Re: I have started slowplaying some Top Pair Hands Head-Up, Like-IT?

It always looks uber suspicious to me when someone (especially a TAG) raises PF, and then doesnt bet the flop, especially when its ace rags. So I think against a decent opponent this wont work, and against a clueless fish, you are prolly just missing bets.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:58 AM

I think in general this makes more sense with something like KQ and a Kxx or Qxx flop. Or maybe with KK or QQ and a raggedy flop .

I have to wonder how much action you can get after raising pre-flop and getting an Axx flop. I think the flop check sets off alarms for any decent player, and even many bad players.

Maybe the point is that you get a turn bet from an agressive guy who would've folded to a flop bet? I could maybe see that, I just don't think you'll get the 3 BBs very often like you do here.

This may be a roundabout way of saying I like the idea OK, but this hand might not be a great example.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:09 AM

This is gay.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

"When you are last to act and you are against an extremely aggressive player, you should slowplay some hands that don't seem to merit this strategy." -HEFAP pg 204

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand this in a multiway pot with an EP agr player, so you can trap people for more bets on the turn, but you application seems innappropriate. But I checked, around flopped trips on the flop and turn last night so what do I know.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand this in a multiway pot with an EP agr player, so you can trap people for more bets on the turn, but you application seems innappropriate. But I checked, around flopped trips on the flop and turn last night so what do I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

This quote is taken out of context, as it refers to situations when the other player has taken the lead in the hand.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:27 AM

Did he call the river raise? If so I guess it worked well this time. But you're going to be really pissed when you try this and someone turns two pair or picks up a backdoor draw and three-bets you on the river when they hit. I mean honestly the difference in this play and betting the whole way (assuming he calls river raise) is only .5 BB's yet your giving a free card and a discounted river. I wouldn't make a habit of this play, but when you do it i think you should raise/bet the turn instead of waiting until the river.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:27 AM

Actually, no. It is same hand but against 2 players and when you know one of them will autobet turn because he is really aggressive.

If u are not 2 aggressive yourself maybe it make some sense to check after 2 players, but any decent SHplayer would bet on an A high flop after raising preflop so I dont think it works very well. And HU its even more strange to check.

And I agree with you, if he takes the lead the slowplay makes more sense. Alobar is right on this, if the other one is so bad that he dont think its suspicious when you check flop he will be calling with any 2 so you better bet anyway.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:58 AM

I prefer to just call flop bets then raise the river HU with position, rather than give away freecards.

It really depends on your read, if the guy is aggressive enough he will bet any hand that could potentially hurt you on the turn. By him not betting you can assume that he wont hit a gutshot/2pair/set etc, so giving him a freecard to make a pair wont hurt.

Some players are weak postflop and will fall for these kind of traps.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:47 AM

I don't really like it.
I am quite happy to wait till the river to raise if he starts betting into me but I prefer to bet here. Not especially for the EV of this hand but for overall game considerations. It makes me much more credible every time I bet when I don't have the ace.
I suppose you could develop a strategy which involves checking good and missed hands on the flop but I don't believe that is the best path to go down in 6 max