Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 10:44 AM

Default What do you need to call? 2/4 Party 6-max

Button in this hand is seriously pissed. If he were any more on tilt, he'd have grass stains on his ear. He lost a 2K pot a couple hands ago getting his money in as a slight favorite and, since then, has just moved all-in preflop when the action got to him 3 times in a row. He has not been called yet.

UTG ($200) limps. He may or may not be bright enough to know that button is probably going to push. He bought in for 50BB 2 orbits ago and hasn't done anything noteworthy in that time. People who buy in for this amount usually suck or are taking a shot so he could very well be thinking "Well, he won't push THIS time so I can limp my 75s (or whatever)" or he could be thinking, "I have AA, time to limp/reraise because I read that in a book once and my dad's best friend's dog's former owner won a $45 pot playing .02/.07 NL in 1972 by limp/reraising AA and it was awesome."

2 people fold, button pushes for $85, you are in the SB. What do you need to call? Clearly, if you call this, you are going to call UTG's push for $120 if he does that.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Re: What do you need to call? 2/4 Party 6-max

I dont think calling is an option, pushing would be the only option to isolate the guy tilting.

You didnt say how much you had, but assuming you have a decent stack(i.e. covered the UTG):

I play with any pair, even 22. The lowest prob QJ. Hoping to have at least the overcards to the guy that put in 85.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:56 AM

I think these calling standards are way too loose, especially the idea of calling with 22.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:10 AM

88+, KT+, A5+. Overpush > call.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:10 AM

I'm not a math whiz, but you are only getting 1.4:1 (285:200)on your bet. I need a pretty good hand AA-88, AK or AQs to dance here. This is a good topic. I wonder if I am too tight here?

Just saw your comment on BB. I think it is unlikely he pushes behind without a monster.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Overpush > call.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree with this completely if stated as a blanket remark for all holdings.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think these calling standards are way too loose, especially the idea of calling with 22.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand they are quite loose..but by the sounds of the OP, he wants to get the remaining money from someone that is tilting. If you want to gamble this way, then you could do it with pairs and still have the best (granted slight) edge on probable holdings of the button.

I personally wouldnt go after it without my normal standards, but I think the question was directed at attacking the tilter. Part of my post asked how large his stack was. If he had enough that it wasnt a good percent of his stack at the time, go for it. If not, dont.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:19 AM

The problem is that you have so slight +EV that it's probably offset by the limper with a possible big hand.

I lean towards tighter standards, maybe 88+, AT+, or something. Haven't done any math but spontaneously.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:21 AM

You are too quick to discount UTG and the BB, who still get a chance to act.

Sorry for not including stack sizes; I (the SB) had both players covered. The BB who had not acted yet had about $300-ish and I had him covered, too.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You are too quick to discount UTG and the BB, who still get a chance to act.

Sorry for not including stack sizes; I (the SB) had both players covered. The BB who had not acted yet had about $300-ish and I had him covered, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you have been at the table long enough to know anything about the BB, I think that impacts your decision. You stated that the UTG was a minimum shortstack possibly taking a shot. I think he is probably the only guy you should wonder in your hand as described. If you push, and the BB comes along for the ride, and UTG...I think you are getting alot of money in with your pair.

If you think there is a good chance to isolate soley the button, I stand by my 22 and up. If you seriously feel like UTG is holding something, then I think it goes back to normal standards. Maybe just call the 85, since it would be unlikely that UTG would call without either QQ - AA if your read on him is on. Then if he comes along or reraises you can dump, or see if you hit your set.