Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2004, 09:27 PM

Default Help. Hemmhoraging funds.

Another morsel from the worst session I've ever had. Raise the turn, the river?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB
Old 12-07-2004, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Help. Hemmhoraging funds.

On the flop, there's not much Button could be raising with (unless he's simply bluffing, or he thinks you are) except a king, a pocket pair, or a six. Of those possibilities, I think a king is most likely.

When the second king falls on the turn, I start thinking there's a really good chance I'm in trouble (even though it did just become mathematically less likely than before that Button has a king). I find it hard to fold a boat, but I think I'd go into check-call mode here. In any event, if I did bet, I wouldn't 3-bet after Button raised.

On the river, I don't see much point to betting or checkraising. Even if Button can't beat the board either, I doubt he'll fold.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:02 PM

Looks like you can safely fold the turn, unless the button is crazy.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 12-07-2004, 10:09 PM

If he has a King, on the flop, I'm still ahead. Why not 3-bet? I gave the turn one more exploratory bet to see what he would do (as it is less likely now that he has a K) and when raised went it to check-call mode.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he has a King, on the flop, I'm still ahead. Why not 3-bet? I gave the turn one more exploratory bet to see what he would do (as it is less likely now that he has a K) and when raised went it to check-call mode.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the flop 3-bet is good.

A king does become mathematically less likely on the turn, but it's still more likely than a six (since there are two kings and only one 6 left unaccounted for).

I don't really have a problem with your turn bet, but it makes more sense to me if you're going to fold to a raise. The reason I would probably check-call instead is that I don't like folding boats (and I don't want to pay 3 big bets to see a showdown, either). I'm not claiming check-calling the turn is best, but fortunately for me this particular situation (where folding a boat is sensible but I'm unwilling to do it) doesn't come up very much.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:38 PM

I would have folded after the turn raise.