Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 06:19 PM

Default 3 seperate river decisions

I'm going to showdown too much and as a result am trying to think more about my river play. I think I played these three incorrectly. I've paused the action at my decision and provided any reads. Comments greatly appreciated as this is one of my weakest areas. Thanks.

Hand 1:

BB is TP-A after about 30 hands.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds.

River: (9 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero ?

Hand 2:

UTG+1 is LP-P after about 40 hands.
MP2 is new, no reads.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero ?

Hand 3:

UTG+2 is LP-P after about 40 hands.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls.

River: (5.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero ?
Old 02-17-2005, 06:25 PM

Default Re: 3 seperate river decisions

hand 1 - bet/call

hand 2 - i want to 3-bet.. but i think i go for the overcall here. a raise will isolate you with the guy who is representing 99/88/97/87. i think you are close to having the best hand 67% of the time.. but an overcall is the same profit for less risk. now if LP-P is loose enough to call 2.. feels weak not to 3-bet this.. hmm..

hand 3 - call
Old 02-17-2005, 06:27 PM

hand 1, bet the river. i think he calls here with a decent amount of worse hands and more often than not bets if he has the straight out of fear of it being checked through. plus it was runna/runna and it doesnt add up in my head.

hand 3- i raise preflop if i feel i can get the buttona nd isolate the limper.

the river is beyond easy to call.

EDIT: messed up reading the board [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

in hand 2 you are toast and the only justification for calling is MP2 is new, no reads. and its party.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't you be calling this no matter what the read.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:41 PM

Hand 1 - Bet
Hand 2 - 3-bet He could be slow playing a str8.
Hand 3 - Call unless you have a really good read that the guy has you beat.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:42 PM

Shouldn't you be calling this no matter what the read.

LMAO! i didnt even see that we filled up, just thought the board paired [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I can even use lack of caffeine as an excuse!
Old 02-17-2005, 06:45 PM

DJ

FWIW
I don't think these are hands you should be concerned with going to the river on. I think it is tough to get off TP at .5/1 without a lot more resistance than you faced in any of the hands. If you think you are going to SD too much, and the FAQ in this post suggests 28-32% I believe I woulod look at the situations you are chasing a draw or hanging on to overcards etc.

Good Luck
Old 02-17-2005, 07:02 PM

Yeah you are right with chasing draws and weak pairs. I think part of my problem is once I'm in the hand I kinda go automatic and stop thinking properly, clearly not good. In hand 2 I put him on a slow played straight, didn't expect to see 88 come down at all.

Anyway,

Hand 1:
Hero bets, BB raises, Hero calls.
BB shows Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for runner runner straight [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Hand 2:
Hero 3-bets, UTG+1 folds, MP2 caps, Hero calls.
MP2 shows 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for 8's full of 7's [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Hand 3:
Hero calls.
UTG+2 shows: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for runner runner straight [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2005, 07:06 PM

Does anyone else think that a legitimate case could be made for checking behind on hand 1?

That board developed in a way that it would have helped a lot trash holdings that seem likely from the BB and given the villian is TP-A it seems like he must have had some piece of it in order to bet out on the flop, call the flop raise and then call the turn bet.

I guess I'm just wondering if there's really that much too be gained by betting the river. He definitely isn't folding a hand that beats you and will certainly call the one bet and may even raise when it gets back to him forcing you to put in two bets. I guess the key factor is how often he will call with a worse hand.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:11 PM

This is what I thought at the time, but saw he was TP-A, so thought either end of the straight with a Q was out of the question. It wasn't till he showed down I realised he was BB and could have had anything. He had a vpip of about 15.