Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Nut Flush Draw from BB - Check call on River with 2PTK

What do you think of this check/call on the river. I think that I am folding on the river with the best hand too often and am looking to improve my river play. This look any good?

No great reads on villian, just a general loose bad. Not very aggressive post flop but not totally passive.

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $0.50 BB (8 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP2 ($56.90)
CO ($15.40)
Button ($49.25)
SB ($20.90)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($101.70)</font>
<font color="#C00000">UTG ($28.80)</font>
UTG+1 ($47.10)
MP1 ($24.05)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, UTG+1 calls $0.50, MP1 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($2.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2.4</font>, UTG calls $2.40, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, SB folds.

Turn: ($7.30) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

River: ($7.30) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $5</font>, Hero calls $5.

Final Pot: $17.30
Old 10-11-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Nut Flush Draw from BB - Check call on River with 2PTK

He most likely is going to show you 65xx. It is also easy for him to have an overpair.

If he is aggressive enough to bluff 1/3 then you call is okay. The big problem is he might think he is bluffing with something like 1010.

Also you should be the turn some of the time...
Old 10-11-2005, 02:02 PM

bad call. he's going to show you a straight draw that backdoored trips. you're only making this call against an opponent you know to be tricky and aggressive. you describe him as neither. your hand is so weak your opponent could be bluffing with the best hand.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He most likely is going to show you 65xx. It is also easy for him to have an overpair.

If he is aggressive enough to bluff 1/3 then you call is okay. The big problem is he might think he is bluffing with something like 1010.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I think the overpair problem here is a big issue with my check call. I think I should have probably laid this down with the info I had at the time. I pretty much had his range highly weighted a high flush draw as well, but who knows on the side cards cause of the looseness. 56 definetly possible in his range.

I am not sure that he was aggressive enough to check/call here though he was most aggressive on the river. He may have been, but I hadn't seen enough evidence of it in the 30 ish hands we had played.

It worked this time though. He had Ts Qs Kh 2h.

[ QUOTE ]
Also you should be the turn some of the time...

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep, I will sometimes fire here again. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:17 PM

Are you just hoping to beat a stone cold bluff on the river? For the size of the pot and the action that went before I think that it's a long term losing call by quite a margin, especially at the lower limits.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you just hoping to beat a stone cold bluff on the river?

[/ QUOTE ] Yes, that was the idea.

[ QUOTE ]
For the size of the pot and the action that went before I think that it's a long term losing call by quite a margin, especially at the lower limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I think I agree. This isn't one of those spots I was looking for despite the results.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:30 AM

Check-call is definitely your worst option here.

I prefer leading out on the river. Otherwise, you aren't following up on your semibluff.