Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 08:52 PM

Default Re: flop aggression (long)

Yeah I agree, but I've been in a phase where I never wait for the turn ever, and I'm trying to get some big bets here and there. Small pot, safe board, I got burned, no big deal.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:29 PM

1. good bet. probably bet the turn again if called. Small pot though, i'd fold to any action given the relatively draw-less board.

2. good. Your hand figures to be best here a large %age of the time, and you'd like to protect it. Paired boards are one of the few that calling stations actually fold on.

3. good. Drawy board, you'll often get action here. Since your flop agg is so high it is in your best interest to fastplay monsters many times.

4. this hand is a reverse implied odds nightmare in a very small pot, and you will almost always be called by hands with overs/gutshots/any type of draw. I probably c/f if I don't hit a set. I'll bet the turn if the flop checks through and a scare card comes.

5. good. standard hand protection/value raise.

6. an UTG raiser capped your preflop, and 3bet your flop raise on an innocuous board. Unless villain is a known LAG i'd dump this on the turn. Call the flop 3bet because if you hit your set you should pick up 3+ BBs.

7. I don't like this. You are HU, OOP, and will not often fold a better hand with this line. If you want to make a play for the pot, call the flop raise and c/r the turn. IMO against most players calling down and raising if you hit is the best line after you get raised on the flop.

8. This is a bad bet. You aren't winning the pot often enough for the semibluff aspects, and you'd much prefer a free/cheap card to try and hit one of 10 outs - if you do hit you'll likely then get a raise in on the turn. Getting c/r'd here sucks because you have to call and it bloats the pot to the point where you will probably have to call a turn bet too.

9. Good

10. This board is likely to get you callers. Nearly any hand has a pair or draw of some sort. I'd hope for a free card and value bet if I hit... you won't pick this pot up often enough for the semibluff to work.

I think you need to consider the flop texture and number of opponents a little more carefully in the future - it would help to do a hand-reading excercise and enumerate you opponents' possible holdings and see how often they connect with the board - it's surprising on a board like 67J 2tone.

Gl,

Surf
Old 11-11-2005, 11:24 PM

Thanks surf. I'm realizing that ill-advised semibluffs and continuation bets are killing me. I find myself in the position of having semibluffed and missed, and then being out of position on the turn with 7 high a lot.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:27 AM

Thanks Surf (and Sprout for posting). This is a very good fundamentals post and your general thoughts would be useful to keep in mind for players like myself and OP whose flop aggro can get out of line when we don't pay enough attention.