Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 03:18 PM

Default Rant - how do I avoid this type of tilt?

OK, I just have to go off a bit.

Here's the typical scenario...

Player A (VILLIAN) has KK under the gun and raises.

Player B Re-raises

Player C (HERO) calls 3 cold from the button with 73s

VILLIAN caps and all call.

Flop comes K-T-5, Turn 4, River 6 and HERO takes the pot and all the 2 and 3 bet action that went into it on all streets.

VILLIAN than lauches into a tirade of abuse against HERO - "you stupid *(^#@, who taught you to play cards? you ought to kick him in the nuts - blah blah blah" as HERO happily stacks his 20+ bet pot.

I see this behaviour both online and live.

Quite some time ago, I realised that this was a great tell on VILLIAN that he, in fact, a) knew nothing about poker and b) would probably play even worse thanks to being on tilt...

...and that made me happy.

Lately, I've been on a "bad run" of this type of situation coming up and HERO leaving the table with his profit (a portion of which I expected to earn) so as not to continue to suffer the verbal abuse and WHO COULD BLAME HIM?

...this, has been putting ME on tilt and THAT is the point of this post.

I find I'm making typical tilting errors of lowering hand requirements "just a bit" if VILLIAN is in the pot.

I get angry about it and steam about his chasing the live one out of the game.

HELP!

Thoughts, advice, comments, suggestions?
Old 08-07-2005, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Rant - how do I avoid this type of tilt?

use the find player button, find the hero and leave the table. That or buy some icmb's and a GPS system and launch them wherever the villan lives.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:20 AM

Honestly, it's hard not to be a little angry here. After our hero rides into the sunset, I usually rant at the villain and ask him why he made our money go away. I'll usually move tables at this point, because his behavior is not likely to improve. This only after I have noted his actions so I won't mistakenly sit with him again.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:53 AM

Are you playing live? If so, I totally sympathize. Having a table coach at the table can hurt everyone's mood, and its hard not to be affected by this. I don't think that you are making an improper adjustment by lowering your hand requirements. If villain is tilting, you really need to take a "get-it-while-its-hot" kind of approach to this situation. He might cap every street with one pair versus your set...

If you're playing online, I can't give much advice though. I often have the chat off, and its pretty rare that I pay attention to what people are saying. I like to let someone's betting patterns tell me what kind of player they are. Also, I multitable...

The important thing to realize though is that you should not let anyone ruin your mood. I'm not making excuses for this short tempered player. I'm just saying that its important to live a happy life, and enjoy the things that you do. You aren't going to be a very happy person if you let your losses or other people's attitudes put you in a bad mood.
When I see someone acting like this, sometimes it helps for me to imagine that they are simply a child throwing a tantrum. That way I don't take them seriously, or feel obliged to respond.
As for the real problem: short tempered player chasing away the calling station. I would try to defend the calling station. I really hate it when people who are playing cards to have a good time get berated for winning a pot. Everyone has the right to win the occasional pot. Thats what the game is about.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:25 AM

sorry, this is off topic
I wonder how You can call with 73s when raised ?
I wouldnt even limp with it!
Old 08-08-2005, 10:37 AM

this confused me too, until I realized that OP is not hero. Hero is another person at the table getting berated by a short tempered player.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:25 PM

Sorry for not being more clear -

VILLIAN = loud mouthed table coach
HERO = poor poker player just there to have a good time
ME = the guy at UTG+1 who quietly folded AQo when raised