Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-2005, 12:26 PM

Default You can build up quickly

illguitar,

i was in almost the same situation as you not too long ago. i had been a winning player up to $5/10 and then had to spend my bankroll on personal expenses. i wanted to go pro so bad but had no money to start with.

i suggest you do the following:

Get a job. Any old stupid job that will pay your living expenses will do. Then once you save up $1,000 start playing part-time $2/4 multitable (2 or 3 tables) and hitting bonuses and getting rake rebates if possible. There are many bonuses out there. These are discussed in these forums and in the ads on this forums. With some bonuses you can be making $40 an hour multitabling $2/4 with the bonus. Now this is a good earn rate comparable to single tabling $10/20 or $15/30. Don't cash anything out. Use your money from job to pay bills. When you hit $2,000, keep doing same thing at $3/6. When you hit $3,000 go to $5/10. Then when you get to $6,000, move to $10/20. I think you can get to this point in 6 months or less. Next I would keep playing $10/20 until you reach $12,000. At this point you can quit your job if you want. I would still just play $10/20 though even though you have double the amount that you need to survive. The reason is living expenses. This way if you have a bad month you can still dip into the extra bankroll and pay your bills without having to move down. By this time you'll be well on your way to building up to play the limit you want.
Also, if you're able to save money from the job, you can choose to add that to your bankroll as well.

Also, doing it this way you will become a better player and be better prepared for higher limits when you get there. I also suggest you read GTOT and get StatKing to help you with bankroll management decisions.

I hope this helps. Be patient, you can get there this way. I did.