Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 12:18 AM

Default Blind Battles: Hand #4

BB is a very good, tough player.

everyone folds to you in the SB, you raise A5o, he calls.

Flop is a XXX

you bet he calls

Turn is X

you bet he calls

River is X

you have no pair

what boards do you checkcall on, what boards if any do you bet and what boards do you checkfold?
Old 12-12-2005, 12:55 AM

Default Re: Blind Battles: Hand #4

I check fold almost all of them, unless i had a read/reason to call, betting seems silly.

if he was floating he would have popped me on the turn, so he's got a hand that he wants to showdown which is almost certainly better than mine. I'd expect him to jam most draws in position so I think the likihood of him calling along with an OESD or some-such is pretty slim. I also don't think he'll bluff much when I check because he can't know that i'll c/f something as good as an A, and he can't expect me to keep firing UI with worse than an A.

Surf
Old 12-12-2005, 01:49 AM

I see a lot of your posts where "villain" is a tough TAG.. why do you play against good, possibly superior opponents so often?
Old 12-12-2005, 01:53 AM

because when you play higher stakes games you are playing alongside of other good tags and were all beating up on a few fish. im posting blind battles against good players because i think my biggest room for growth is against tough competition. i dont care about posting hands against fish because im training myself to beat tough players.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:57 AM

if all the gutshot draws either made pairs or a straight i like to check fold. Otherwise I usally still fold but sometimes call, and will bet if the board is paired low and we have a history of playing back at each other a lot.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:08 AM

No offense, but these hypotheticals ar very difficult because its so hard to just dream situations where you should and shouldn't call. Generally, i would feel comfortable saying that when he calls the flop and turn, it's more likely that he has a weka made hand or a showdownable hand of some sort since he has made no effort to get you to fold. If he was on a gutter draw with T-8 and he's good, he's putting in a raise somewhere. So, i guess against very good players you have the best hand about never here. Some exceptions are when he could have K high on some 2237 board, but he won't usually bet the river there.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:39 AM

this is a bit offtopic, but quite valid IMO:
I understand that as the stakes increase, the fish decrease, the good players increase, etc. However, at some point I would think that playing 10/20 or 20/40, 4-8 tables, would produce more profit than higher limits, due to what has to be a greater win rate and the ease of playing more tables.

Playing at a table with 1 fish, 1 Lag and 2-3 TAGs, you are going to find yourself HU vs a TAG over and over.

I guess if you play for the challenge of the game and the $$$ doesn't matter nearly so much, then playing higher limits might make more sense.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this is a bit offtopic, but quite valid IMO:
I understand that as the stakes increase, the fish decrease, the good players increase, etc. However, at some point I would think that playing 10/20 or 20/40, 4-8 tables, would produce more profit than higher limits, due to what has to be a greater win rate and the ease of playing more tables.

Playing at a table with 1 fish, 1 Lag and 2-3 TAGs, you are going to find yourself HU vs a TAG over and over.

I guess if you play for the challenge of the game and the $$$ doesn't matter nearly so much, then playing higher limits might make more sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

From an pure dollars worth of EV perspective this is an equation in two variables. How many total BB can you win per hour at the two games and how many dollars is 1 BB. If you play at twice the stakes, even if your win rate drops in half you will on average win the same total dollars. Tolerance to variance, desire to improve, intellectual challenge, etc. are all matters specific to each individual.

Cartman
Old 12-12-2005, 03:52 AM

I think c/f is good. Id assume most good K-highs and almost any A-high is 3 betting preflop or floating u postflop. Hard to say what I would c/c and c/f or b/f. I mean, a good player has either high card strength or a weak showdownable...maybe small pair on the flop and wants u to keep attacking. These situations suck when u just get called down. Hard to say when there has been no aggression whatsoever postflop.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:19 AM

First of all I would only consider check-calling the river here if the board stayed low and even then I usually wouldn't consider it for very long. To consider check calling I always have to remind myself that he needs to both have a worse hand and be willing to bet with it. The first problem in this case is that there are very few worse hands that would have just called the flop and the turn on a low board. He knows he isn't getting the correct odds to draw to two weak overcards on the turn and if he had a draw with or without showdown value he would very likely have raised somewhere. So if we rule out (or nearly out) overcard(s) with no showdown value and draws, that leaves us with pairs (which also probably would have raised at some point) or showdownable no-pair hands, both of which beat us.

Cartman