Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 08:14 PM

Default Hypothetical Situation

This situation is only hypothetical, however it is one that I believe comes up often enough to merit discussion.

Hero is BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Two limpers in MP who are both loose passive. SB (a Tight Aggressive Good Player) completes. Hero Checks.

The flop is Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

SB bets, hero...?

Knowing that both players behind me are loose passives and will probably call for one bet, however are likely to fold for two bets, and figuring that I am behind the SB, is it more profitable to raise here with what is probably the second best hand, or to call in hopes that both Loose Passives call behind me?

Typically, I tend to call in the situation in an effort to build the pot with loose callers behind me and hoping to make my nut flush by the river. However, if the players behind me are tight, I usually raise in this situation to get them to fold and to try to get a free card from the SB on the turn. Is this strategy sound?

I am certain someone will say it is situation dependent, and you are right. But this is only a hypothetical situation. You are 4 to a flush and there are potential callers behind you, do you raise with what is likely 2nd best, or do you try to induce the calls to build the pot?

On a final note, I don't recall reading about situations like this in any of the books I have read. Can anyone point out a particular section that covers this issue? Thanks.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:06 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical Situation

This one looks pretty straightforward to me. You're probably behind and don't really want to be heads up. On the other hand, if you can get these guys to call, it's an easy value bet. Call. If you get raised, and there are three 2-bets to you, then raise and keep them calling.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:15 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical Situation

and with the small pot after no one raised PF, you are not as concerned with protecting your Ace out with your poor kicker, calling here to encourage overcalls to bump up the pot for a flush seems right to me

EDIT: Actually, your Ace out here would give you Aces up, so you def. do not need to even consider protecting your Ace outs - and I would think even in a larger pot you might want to encourage overcalls in this situation