Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 12:09 AM

Default 10 Hands, down 18 BBs - I quit for night? NC

I had sat down at my PC with an 'open' night ahead me, GF working late, blew off some buddies going out, and was psyched to multitable for 4-5 hours of uninterupted poker bliss (something I don't get a lot of, once a week maybe, and something i really look forward to)

It started with posting in LP with J6s - 4 callers - ended up with an outside str8 draw and 4 flush on the flop - lost to a higher flush on the river yadda yadda yadda - ran into a higher set - AKs nut flush on turn runs into a boat when the board paired on the river - the usual [censored] no one wants to read about -

the point of the post is while I play at a level where the money doesn't mean much to me (other than keeping 'score') and short term results do not bug me -
tonight I just quit after one orbit after these three hands and was done for the night -

anyone done this before? I feel dirty
Old 07-28-2005, 04:20 AM

Default Re: 10 Hands, down 18 BBs - I quit for night? NC

if dropping 18 BBs in 10 hands will affect your ability to play your best poker, than by all means quit for the night. i usually quit once i'm down 30 BB, sometimes i will find that i'll drop 20 or so and hover there for awhile, then i will hit a couple hands and be evened up or ahead; if the game is real good i will stick around until i'm down 40 BBs, then i'll call it a night.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:28 AM

It sounds like you're playing for fun, and losing 18BB in 10 hands is never fun.

You know what to do.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:36 AM

I wouldn't quit in this situation, unless I felt I couldn't play solid poker

18BB swings are very common
Old 07-28-2005, 08:29 AM

Quitting for the whole night seems a bit drastic. Dropping 18BB in one orbit isn't much fun, but it happens. If, as you say, the money isn't that big of a deal, but you are serious about improving, I think this is a good opportunity for practicing your "tilt-control". Instead of quitting entirely, take a 15 min break and come back, determined to play your best game, determined not to let the bad luck you had in the first orbit bug you.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:58 AM

Last night, Sit down at 1/2 9 max, and first hand after posting got a QJ and get to limp in, flop J2K, I bet it down and a guy called whole way, turns over AK that wasn't raised pre-flop.

4 more hands go by and I get QT in CO and limped in, K79 flop checked through, Q on turn I bet, get called, river 6, get called, a poster hit a straight (he had a 58o).

3 hands later I get QQ, I raise pf, 3 cc's, BB calls. Flop 886, I bet, 1 fold, turn 7, I bet, 1 fold. River A. 2 remaining players had AQ and AK.

Another trip around the horn and I get AA. Raise it up. 4 people in with me. 47Q flop, I bet 1 fold. Turn K, I bet, all call. River K I bet, 1 raise, I call knowing I'm beat by KKK. Guy had KTo he cold-called a pre-flop raise with.

At this point I'm down 18BB (due to blinds, etc) and I'm hating variance, but I sure like this table. I cash in for more chips (I don't like having less than 10BB at the table).

I get dealt TT in BB. Yeah, just the hand that'll raise my hopes. 4 players limp + SB completes. I check. Flop comes Q7Q, so I bet, 1 caller. Turn 2h, I bet, he raises. I call, cursing. River... T. I check-raise and get a total of 6BB back. Just think if I had raised the TT like I should have. Villain had a Q.

I ended up about 3.5 BB on that table after 67 hands. I had to leave it for dinner. I'm glad I didn't close it after I was down 18BB. I'm still getting used to the amount of money at this level, too, and that $36 looked large.

KO