Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 07:47 PM

Default Call the river?

Do I call this river bet with people behind me? Critiques on all streets welcome -
SB is LOOSE and slightly aggresive preflop, not much read post flop
CO is typical loose passive
MP2 is very tight, slightly aggresive preflop, not very aggresive post flop
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, SB calls.

Flop: (18 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (13 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

River: (17 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero ...?
Old 08-09-2005, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Call the river?

Nasty PF action given your description on MP2...definitely fold the river(SB &amp; CO both cold calling screams frush draw)
Old 08-09-2005, 08:07 PM

I'll try my first advice post so people can kill me...

I definately would not like this flop. Not only is there no [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in your hand, but your AJ is easily dominated by a tight raiser. Definately agree with the flop bet. MP2's raise and then 2 callers is ugly.

I would almost be tempted to fold the turn, but you're getting a good price to call and there's no real evidence that anyone has your A beat or has a flush.

I would fold the river. For one bet I might see it in case the SB was trying to ram QQ down your throat. With 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]'s showing and 2 callers yet to act behind you, you're likely to face a very expensive showdown that you can't win.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:07 PM

I'd fold. Someone's gotta have a heart. Having this raised behind you would suck.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:19 PM

why are you capping this preflop?
Old 08-09-2005, 09:00 PM

I capped because of the two people cold calling 3 bets after I got raised, if I am well behind MP2, as I well could be based on me read on him, my nut flush possibility offers my escape hatch - this escape hatch is enhanced by pumping the pot and charging the two loose donkeys another bet preflop, giving me better odds if I pick up a diamond draw to keep going after this large pot

these loose fish play a ton of hands, and could conceivably call three bets cold with K10o or worse
Old 08-09-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero ...?

[/ QUOTE ]

Flees into the night, screaming like a little girl.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:44 PM

I don't like the preflop cap at all. Raising is fine, but when a tight, slightly aggressive player 3-bets you from MP, you're in trouble. You have to call the 3-bet because you're getting good odds with all the cold callers, but under no circumstances am I capping in that situation. Well, okay, maybe if I'm really drunk or it's a 2+2 table. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Given that read, and the fact that MP2 who you say is "not very aggressive postflop" then raises you on an A-high, 3-suited flop, after you capped it preflop, makes this an easy flop bet/fold. If he doesn't have the case aces, he's got you outkicked. Yes, you technically have the pot odds to continue &amp; draw to your two "safe" jacks, but with the combination of him maybe having top set, the number of redraws out there even if you do hit an offsuit J on the turn...I don't like continuing here.

If I did call the flop raise, I'm definitely folding the turn UI when MP2 bets again.

There's no way you can call the river with a bet into you on the 4-flush board &amp; two players to act behind you (one of whom hasn't seem worried about the board yet).
Old 08-09-2005, 09:57 PM

I will re-examine the pre-flop cap, its a play I make fairly often - heads up against this guy, no way I a cap, but with two typically bad .5/1 players I thought capping made sense (see my above response to another post)

your turn analysis I think is right on, calling him after seeing his flop agression and with those other two donkeys most likley coming along with any heart - is not too smart