Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2004, 08:15 PM

Default Re: Honesty on this site..

I never lie about my golf game. I have a 17.6 handicap, but I play more like a 14. Wait, isn't that embellishing? Sort of, since your handicap in golf takes into consideration the difficulty of the golf courses you play. There are similarities to ones' handicap in poker.

If you make positive xBB per hour, but play mainly in soft games, you could very likely be a negative xBB per hour player in a higher limit game. (the goal is finding these soft games on a consistent basis)

I can play my local golf courses and shoot 84-88 all the time. But get my on Firestone, and I'll be lucky to break a hundred. But you know what? My handicap will not go up or down.

So there can be an extremely high variance to how successful you are in poker, depending upon how easy or difficult your course is.

I also never fold KQs to a raise in the BB.

Thats why I'm here.

Old 04-27-2004, 09:49 PM

its an accepted fact that all the posters on this forum are a bunch of liars and braggards. no big deal as the truthful ones all are on the other topics forum.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I also think some people even lie about the advice they give sometime. Crap like, "ya, I fold KQs out of the big blind if its raised. There's a good chance you're dominated, blah blah blah."

With the distribution of the hands I'm given at Party Poker, if I were to play the way some people on here say they do, I would never play a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Strange statement. If you're implying some people talk a super-tight game but you don't think they're capable of always playing that way, I completely disagree. Don't underestimate the power of discipline in some people.

You can have a very good player, but even that doesn't mean they necessarily have to have rock solid discipline, or super tight preflop play.
A lot of people prone to looseness assume that everyone gets bored at some times and starts lowering their starting standards. When, with some, this just isn't true. They can play that way ALL of the time. And without much of a struggle.

If you don't mean this then I really don't see what you are getting at.
[Note I'm not talking about making bad folds. Bad folds are bad, whether you are a Zen master of discipline or not.]
Old 04-28-2004, 12:32 AM

I see that too. That's why I like to post hands that I lose.

I think people go through phases as well. I play a lot of hands but 99% of them are ABC.

Bottom line is the more you post and think about your game the better you will become regardless of why you made those posts.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:39 AM

Default 200 beers in 200 hours?????

Why set your sights so low??
Old 04-28-2004, 01:48 AM

Default Ray\'s a Liar

Whereas I always tell the truth.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:01 AM

Default Re: 200 beers in 200 hours?????

it was my unemployed period, and there aren't any cardrooms in hawaii
Old 04-28-2004, 08:09 AM

Default Underachiever

You need to go for at least 2 bb's/hr.....that's two big ass beers per hour....isn't that what they are talking about when they talk about BB/Hr????
Old 04-28-2004, 08:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but there are also some people who have had really nice hot streaks.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, like that [censored] fish astro, playing 21% of his hands

SHeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 04-28-2004, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How many of you are skeptical of the results that some people post on this site?

These are the things that I am skeptical of.

A lot of the claims that people are making about BB/hr.
What happened to that dude who said he could make $100k in 100 days? And ThrillFactor?

I also think some people even lie about the advice they give sometime. Crap like, "ya, I fold KQs out of the big blind if its raised. There's a good chance you're dominated, blah blah blah."

With the distribution of the hands I'm given at Party Poker, if I were to play the way some people on here say they do, I would never play a hand.

I think people lie about their poker skills the way they lie about their golf games. Everybody wants to be good, but only a few really are.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think you should size people up here the same as you would at the poker table. Some are tight, some are loose, some are bluffers, some play the "nuts". If you can't get a feel for who has knowledge here and who doesn't, then you might have similar problems at the tables.

I have been reading here about a month. I have zero concern for who is lying and who is telling the truth. I can pick out 10 posters with a wealth of knowledge, and regardless of their BB/hour I will pay attention to what is written.

Regards.