Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2004, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Honesty on this site..

Most posters probably believe what they write is true, but many are mistaken.

For example: Misinterpreting a 4+BB/100 Hands over 1000 hands to mean that they have a long-term 4+BB/100 win rate.

When they write "fold KQs in the BB to a raise", they usually mean, "I wish that I hadn't called that raise with KQs, and I'm never going to do it again...".

Unlike golf where there is solid, undeniable evidence that you suck, poker offers ample opportunities for self delusion. e.g. catching a hot run of cards that even a monkey could play profitably, "they sucked out on me again", "I can only beat good players", "I hate AA because they always lose" etc.

AND, over time here you'll notice that when a player is winning, they like to read and post here a lot. When they're losing, they disappear. Thus, much of the commentary, results & advice you see here is self-selecting.

Take note of who is giving what advice, it won't be long before you realize who the real giants on this site are and seek out their posts.

Old 04-27-2004, 04:03 PM

AND, over time here you'll notice that when a player is winning, they like to read and post here a lot. When they're losing, they disappear. Thus, much of the commentary, results & advice you see here is self-selecting.

I often notice this myself.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I often notice this myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've noticed this as well. I tend to post here a lot when I am losing. It is easy to slip in to bad habits when you are losing and posting here helps avoid that.

I try not to lie about my ability. I know that the main reason I have had success at poker is that I try to play in games where my competition is absolutely terrible (not that hard to do). I make plenty of mistakes, but fortunately my opponents make many times more.

I try to learn and improve my game every day. The more I learn, the more terrible players I see
Old 04-27-2004, 04:29 PM

I don't get it. You've made all of two posts on this site, and you decide to level nebulous allegations of dishonesty? If you don't think the information you obtain here is reliable, just don't visit this site.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:06 PM

I agree 100% with everything you wrote. I'm lying right now.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:35 PM

Sorry, I was on vacation on that one with a mission to polish off 200 beers in 200 hours. I failed, too, but not for lack of trying.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:38 PM

Default for the record

I've never said that I play well. any positive results I've had only come from my opponents playing horrendously.
I've also never posted or uttered a truer statement.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How many of you are skeptical of the results that some people post on this site?

I think people lie about their poker skills the way they lie about their golf games. Everybody wants to be good, but only a few really are.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it makes you feel any better, I, while +$ for over three years, have an hourly earn slightly in excess of your average Indonesian Nike factory worker.

Also, while I have broken 90 several times, I haven't yet this year (coming up on 10 rounds now) and it's driving me fookin' crazy!* [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

* - three separate occasions already, I've needed to par the 18th to finish with 89 - I play the ball down and always putt out - and I made at least a double-bogey each time. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 04-27-2004, 06:16 PM

Default Re: for the record

You play good, my friend. I have always been impressed when I have played with you, and I'm not easily impressed.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:12 PM

Default Re: for the record

don't fool yourself. it's the signal to noise ratio. I leave a lot of bets on the table (especially against cute girls and rich guys who may become investors in later ventures I dream up), but, in the bay area, we can get away with stuff like that and still win money.