Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Pot Odds are killing me in Party Tournaments

Simple example, that is happening left and right in the 40k on PartyPoker. This is an example I made up but it's literally straight from about 20 hand histories I have. The time of the tournament will be semi-early. I'll be at 945 chips out of 1000 starting chips. I'll get 78 offsuit in the BB with blinds at 10/20. UTG+2 will minraise to 40. Cutoff calls. Button calls. SB Calls. It's back to me to call 20 into a 180 chip pot. Harrington says to call any two here, right? I'm getting 9:1 correct?

Okay. I call. Pot at 200.

Flop: 5 6 A rainbow.

SB checks. I check. UTG+2 bets 40. (Pot 240) Cutoff calls. (Pot 280) Button raises to 40 more to 80. (Pot 360) I call the 80 thinking UTG+2 isn't the type of player to repop and I'm getting 4.5:1 with a lot of implied odds. He just calls the 40 more (Pot 400), probably with a marginal hand. Cutoff calls as well. (Pot 440).

Turn: Q.

I check. UTG+2 checks. Cutoff checks. Button bets 80 again (Pot 510). I call 80 into a 510 pot. UTG+2 and Cutoff finally fold.

River: 7

UTG+2 bets 80 again. Now I know I'm beat and I fold.

Is this an inescapable situation? Should I re-raise in these situations, even though I know I'm drawing to 8 outs?

The last 10 tournaments I've entered I've lost a good deal of chips in an early level in the BB because of a donk minraise where I flop a hand that can rake in a lot of chips. Is this a fold preflop? I really, really struggle with this. If I get lucky and hit I can win a nice sized pot. But I end up calling all the way down getting unbelievable odds.

I've lost 260 chips in the early portion of a tournament because of a simple manuever by UTG+2 to raise it 2x the BB.

Is this just a simple case of poker. Do I have a huge leak here that I need to wake up to before I start playing tournaments again on Janurary 2nd? Help, help??
Old 12-22-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Pot Odds are killing me in Party Tournaments

I'm sure a lot of people say that smart player will ditch their hand on the flop minraise to 80. But at one point do you give up implied odds when you know the guy who bet the 40 is a weak/passive player that will NOT in most circumstances re-raise the 40 more to something like 200.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:10 PM

if every play you made was +EV given the pot odds you were offered, then you didn't make any mistakes. EV is the only consideration you should have early in the tournament.
for every two times you drop 260 chips early, there will be a time where you may more than double your stack.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:16 PM

I'd agree that I might ditch after the min raise, but I must be missing the issue here - you're getting a great price to call the turn.

I know its early, but I prefer to play more aggressively, if you're heads up on the turn - his bet is really weak, especially for a guy who limped - why not raise the turn and decide what to do if called on the river.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:21 PM

The thing with this guy's bet and it always happens is that he's got something like A10 or AJ probably and isn't sure if I'm drawing, dominating him with AK, or AQ, or trapping him with a set of 5s or 6s. Yet, if I re-raise him or push he'll still call and hope. So whenever I semi-bluff re-raise a guy with top pair/weak kicker they still call.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:47 PM

Be really happen when people bet small into you and you're drawing. Sure, you miss frequently, but you make way more when you hit than you lose when you miss.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Be really happen when people bet small into you and you're drawing. Sure, you miss frequently, but you make way more when you hit than you lose when you miss.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you stay with the hand when the UTG+2 bets 40 on the flop and the button minraises to 80. It's right to not get aggressive in this spot because odds are one of them, or both, has an ace that they aren't good enough to get away from.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:55 PM

To win this tournament, you need to accumulate over 2 million chips. You need to take every +EV opportunity you can get. Sure you won't hit your draws most of the time but the times that you may be the times when you get a big stack and go far.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:09 PM

This might just be me being bitter, but I tend to find that draws miss when you play them, and hit when you fold them
Old 12-22-2005, 07:19 PM

Did you really make a post with this title?