Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Controversy over symbols and racism .

thank god posters with actual facts are starting to come into this thread.

I thought I was going crazy.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:26 PM

RedBean owned this thread.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
RedBean would have gotten lynched 150 years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-20-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget also the New York Draft Riots of 1863. New Yorkers were not interested in "Fighting to free a bunch of ******* so they can come up here and take our jobs."

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-20-2005, 04:39 PM

Wac,
I never once said I hated the south. I said the south can disappear (Take my wife... Please!) as an offhanded comment. Shajen asked me what the South had ever done to me and I responded with a random list of things that the South has produced that I can live without. I can do the exact same thing for any region in the country! I'm sure you can as well. Then, after Shaj questioned me about it I explained that it was a joke yet everyone missed that posted and I became a South hater!?!

Anywho, obviously I am not opposed to you flying your bros unit flag, that unit is protecting my freedom and fighting for my country.

The confederate flag, on the other hand, represents a dark time in US history. I have reiterated this many times throught the thread. I find the flying of it only acceptable when it is being usedto represent the spirit of states rights, etc, etc (as I explained before).

Why don't I believe it should be used to honor fallen soldiers? Like it or not, those soldiers died to create the country that we have now, the United States of America. They should be honored with our flag.

I honestly don't care anymore.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
RedBean owned this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're saying that only because he said he was black. He didn't say anything new or revolutionary.

Actually he said that people fly the flag to honor their fallen ancestors. Everything else was just repeating Wacki's claims but claiming first hand observation.

If that's pwning, sure.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Like it or not, those soldiers died to create the country that we have now, the United States of America. They should be honored with our flag.

[/ QUOTE ]

They didn't die to create the country you have now. They died fighting *for* the CSA *against* the Union, for a cause they believed in, whether it was right or wrong.

Granted, everyone would agree we're glad it turned out the way it did, and not agree with the reasons of the war, but just like the current climate today, disagreeing with the reason is never cause not to support or honor the troops.

They went into battle under the Navy Jack, for the Navy Jack, and against the Stars and Stripes. To say they would be honored having an enemy flag flown over them just as the happenstance of the resulting outcome years after they died is akin to me pledging we fly the flag of the North Vietnamese at the Vietnam Memorial in Washington to honor those war dead because they "fought to create North Vietnam".

After all, that was the resultant outcome, they fought and spilled blood and as a result we have communist North Vietnam.

That just ain't good logic, hoss.

And I sure as hell ain't taking down the Navy Jack and being stripped of the ability to honor soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice 150 years ago just because some backwoods inbred racist hate groups decided they liked the colors so much they would drape it on the back of their pickups and try to make it a symbol of their efforts in hopes some weak minded naive northerners would fall for it and then confuse the symbol as a racist one.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:10 PM

I Don稚 Want to be Black Anymore

http://www.sierratimes.com/archive/jj/edjj022800.htm

But, for one month I知 supposed to hate the Confederate flag. Not just waving over the South Carolina Statehouse, but on police cars in Mississippi and in front of livestock shows in Houston. I知 supposed to call for the changing of the names of bridges in Virginia, parks in Tennessee and the defacing of portraits of General Lee. I知 even supposed to support Rep. King痴 (R-NY) demonizing of every Southerner in the halls on Congress. I知 supposed to support and endorse all of this because I知 a Black man.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're saying that only because he said he was black. He didn't say anything new or revolutionary.

[/ QUOTE ] How about because what he said flew in the face of everything you said?

That being said, I did find your posts interesting and informative.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I Don稚 Want to be Black Anymore

http://www.sierratimes.com/archive/jj/edjj022800.htm

But, for one month I知 supposed to hate the Confederate flag. Not just waving over the South Carolina Statehouse, but on police cars in Mississippi and in front of livestock shows in Houston. I知 supposed to call for the changing of the names of bridges in Virginia, parks in Tennessee and the defacing of portraits of General Lee. I知 even supposed to support Rep. King痴 (R-NY) demonizing of every Southerner in the halls on Congress. I知 supposed to support and endorse all of this because I知 a Black man.

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate the link to the article from The Sierra Times, whose slogan is "An Internet Publication for Real Americans". Nice ad for a t-shirt on the main page that says, "ACLU - Enemy of the State". Hannity/Limbaugh/O'Reilly would be so proud. Give me a break. Or at least some original thought.