Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 04:52 PM

Default I was betting hard but should I have slowed down with 2 others?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero (poster) checks, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, UTG calls.

River: (20 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 32 BB
Old 12-18-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Re: I was betting hard but should I have slowed down with 2 others?

Definately don't cap the river, the board paired, and there's a huge chance you're chopping. In fact, I might not raise the river, since he called a turn cap/donked.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:01 PM

And it actually helps that there's more than 1 opponent (so long as he doesn't start raising when the board pairs). The reason is that there's a massive chance you're chopping with UTG. This means extra bets -&gt; more rake -&gt; -EV, but if you get desparation calls from button, those extra bets overcome the rake, and getting in more bets when chopping
-&gt; +EV
Old 12-18-2005, 05:03 PM

No way is your hand good for the full pot here. You are either chopping to one (or even two) others with a Ten, or going down in flames to someone with QT or a rivered boat. Just call the river bet- more bad than good will happen if you raise/cap it here.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:09 PM

Too many bets on the river I know, best case scenario I was chopping, worst case was a loss to TQ.
The weird thing I learned was it wasnt who I'd expected to take it. I dont get the slowplay thing, but in this case I guess it worked to his benefit.. denefitely made a player note. Total passivity with the nuts from the flop, strange

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG has Td 3d (straight, jack high).
Hero has 3c Th (straight, jack high).
CO doesn't show.
Button has Tc Qh (straight, queen high).
Outcome: Button wins 32 BB. </font>
Old 12-18-2005, 05:10 PM

DCWildcat hit the nail on the head. Hero has a one card str8 up against persistent aggression and overcallers. I too would have simply called the river bet vice raising.

Also, I hate to the harp on this, but why did you post as MP3?
Old 12-18-2005, 05:51 PM

The games at the .50/1 level are so loose I dont think it makes a big difference if I wait to be the BB or not. It doesnt affect the bottom line at these limits. I wouldnt be posting from any seat in higher games.
And, I like to get right in the action. Plus its excitiing to play some random hands in positiions I would never of before.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont get the slowplay thing, but in this case I guess it worked to his benefit.. denefitely made a player note. Total passivity with the nuts from the flop, strange

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it depends on the table. But if you flop the nuts and you have players raising into you. I think it's better not to show aggression and let them keep throwing their money in. The object is to get the most value from each hand. Obviously slowplaying if no one was betting wouldn't be a smart move. However, if slowplaying results in multiple players calling max bets to the river when you have the nuts, then do it. Slow playing and check-raising are useful tools to have in your bag of tricks, the trick is to know when to use them.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The games at the .50/1 level are so loose I dont think it makes a big difference if I wait to be the BB or not. It doesnt affect the bottom line at these limits. I wouldnt be posting from any seat in higher games.
And, I like to get right in the action. Plus its excitiing to play some random hands in positiions I would never of before.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it makes a big enough difference (looking at my winrate from different positions) that I usually wait and post on the button. Is it considered bad form to post there instead of in the blinds?