Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 12-17-2005, 10:42 PM

Default Wacki\'s thread to explain ITER

This thread is so Wacki can explain in detail his passion against hybrid vehicles and how he thinks they are stopping the development of new and better energy production.

Go wacki go!
Old 12-18-2005, 05:28 AM

Default Re: Wacki\'s thread to explain ITER

ok, this is getting a little out of hand, but whatever.

Cutting the stuff in your old thread.
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...;gonew=1#UNREAD

[ QUOTE ]
You seem to be saying people are being irresponsible by buying hybrids.

[/ QUOTE ]

NO, that's not what I've been saying. I simply said ed millers description of owners of hybrids being "socially responsible" is a bad way to describe them. Yes they are making an effort. Yes, that effort is better than nothing. However, they need to be aware that their hybrid running off of shale oil in 2012 will be far more damaging to the environment than a muscle car in the 60's. If they want to be socially responsible there are plenty of easy ways to do so. Many of which can be performed at the voting booth or by wrting a letter to your congressman. THAT IS ALL I'M SAYING. Again, I wasn't attacking hybrid owners, I wasn't attacking hybrids, I was simply correcting the thought process that everything is fine and dandy if you own a hybrid.

[ QUOTE ]
I think when you're talking about ITER you're talking about new ways to create energy and I think you mean you'd like people to use that energy in their cars rather than oil. If I understand you correctly, then you'd prefer to see electric cars rather than gasoline fueled cars. Am I correct on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said before, I prefer cheap clean energy which will be good for the environment, our gross domestic product, and will not impact our lifestyle. Driving a 90 horsepower hybrid is an impact on some peoples lifestyles (those who like sports cars). It's an inconsequential one, but an impact none the less.

[ QUOTE ]
If so, I simply don't understand why you'd be so against hybrids. Americans are NOT ready for electric cars and hybrids ease them into the transition.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I'm not against hybrids. Saying americans aren't ready for electric cars is a bit silly. IMP motors will give electric cars the speed of a Ferrari.

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/...e_page.htmlmick

If solid state batteries are developed then refuel time will be faster than a gasoline car. However, very little money is being dumped into this technology.

http://www.computerworld.com/printthis/2005/0,4814,98804,00.html

There are many possible solutions. Too many for me to explain again, and again, and again. Like I said it's all in the archives. Hell it's even possible for us to avoid hybrids all together if we find a good way to sequester carbon via phytoplankton and get petro from algae and efficient shale. However, many of these technology's, like ITER, are simply being shelved.

http://cohesion.rice.edu/NaturalScie...S%20Boston.pdf
http://smalley.rice.edu/

man....I don't have time for this.

[ QUOTE ]

Stop hating, Wacki.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just stating the facts mam.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:22 AM

ITER has nothing to do with hybrids, nor do I hope ITER type devices will be put into cars. ITER is a fusion reactor. It is a magnetic confinement reactor. I believe that laser fusion reactors will the future, however I digress.

Fusion reactors will be the future in one form or another. They are extremely clean, and do not require special environmental needs (solar, wind).

I doubt this interests you very much, but it is one of my interest points. I worked for a nuclear physics research facility as an undergrad and for a company who was contracted under a laser fusion project.

Melch
Old 12-18-2005, 06:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ITER has nothing to do with hybrids, nor do I hope ITER type devices will be put into cars. ITER is a fusion reactor. It is a magnetic confinement reactor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why why why why are you saying this? You know me. We talked about ITER on IRC. Please tell me you aren't addressing this to me.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NO, that's not what I've been saying. I simply said ed millers description of owners of hybrids being "socially responsible" is a bad way to describe them.

[/ QUOTE ]
Of all the options available these days, hybrids are more socially responsible than other transportation options.

This is not a zero sum game. I can buy a hybrid AND lobby my representatives for alternative energy. They are not mutually exclusive.

[ QUOTE ]

As I said before, I prefer cheap clean energy which will be good for the environment, our gross domestic product, and will not impact our lifestyle. Driving a 90 horsepower hybrid is an impact on some peoples lifestyles (those who like sports cars). It's an inconsequential one, but an impact none the less.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... maybe you don't understand how a hybrid works. A hybrid is a car with two energy sources, rather than only one source.

A hybrid can be made to acheive any horsepower you wish. Adding additional power sources (battery electric) does not undermine the effectiveness of another (gasoline).

I simply don't understand the threat you perceive in hybrids.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm... maybe you don't understand how a hybrid works.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you decide to enroll in an engineering school like I did, I have forgotten more about hybrids than you will ever know.

[ QUOTE ]
A hybrid is a car with two energy sources, rather than only one source.

[/ QUOTE ]

So when is the last time you plugged your hybrid into the wall?

[ QUOTE ]
I simply don't understand the threat you perceive in hybrids.

[/ QUOTE ]

The threat I percieve isn't from hybrids it's from people who flaunt that they have them. As I've said half a dozen times before, a hybrid running off of shale oil will pollute far far more than a muscle car in the 60's. The ignorant hippies that flaunt that they have a hybrid, forget about shale, forget about China, and hate on anyone driving an SUV are far more dangerous to the environment than anyone driving a giant gas guzzling truck. Americans pick up hybrids or driving honda accords and SUV's won't effect the whole global warming problem. The carbon surplus is simply too large. If all we do is look at what we drive, then it won't make a bit of a difference.

Drive a hybrid, I don't care.
Drive a SUV, I don't care.
Drive a truck, I don't care.

Claim you are an environmentalist simply because you drive a hybrid and I will call you a fool that is a threat to mother nature. A fool that is playing into the hands of the oil companies.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A fool that is playing into the hands of the oil companies.

[/ QUOTE ] Can you expound on this please.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:06 PM

So your plan for energy is:
1. Develop fusion as a way to get energy with no environmental impact.

2. Advance batteries and electric motors enough that we can have cars running solely on electricity which have the same power and range characteristics of gasoline engines.

Is that basically it? Maybe you like hydrogen instead of batteries?

I don't disagree with your premise. It seems to me, though, that hybrid technology can be applied to point #2 above. If companies have economic incentives to produce and improve hybrids, that gets us a step closer to your energy utopia.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A fool that is playing into the hands of the oil companies.

[/ QUOTE ] Can you expound on this please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Petroleum companies are getting record profits, ITER is in gridlock as well as many nonpetroleum based technologies, meanwhile the TV is flooded with commercials from BP and ConocoPhillips telling us not to worry they can always dig deeper for more expensive oil/natural gas.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So your plan for energy is:

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Not to put my eggs in one basket.

2) http://cohesion.rice.edu/NaturalScie...S%20Boston.pdf